Viacom - I guess every company has it's pros and cons... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Viacom

"I guess every company has it's pros and cons..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

It's very casual, comfortable, and laid back environment. They provide many opportunities to network. Pretty much only permanent staff receive good benefits: healthcare, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc.

Cons

They do not care about their freelancers and many are very underpaid. They would rather spend their money on stupid petty things, such as parties and paying for EVERYTHING for rising nobody-celebrities, than on compensating their employees. A perfect example: almost taking away our healthcare benefits to switch to a HORRIBLE "healthcare plan." Viacom also do not care much about the MTV Store employees. They get paid very little with no benefits, meanwhile working very hard and sometimes getting out past 2am with no car service back home.

College tuition reimbursement may be a pain.

Advice to Management

Don't let anyone work more than 50 or 60 hours a week.

Other Employee Reviews for Viacom

1. "Don't join Simon & Schuster"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

Pros

I worked in publishing. Top management doesn't care about that. But if you work in another division, that might be good. I think that the people at some of the other divisions had a far better experience than I did.

Great cafeteria. The cafeteria is one of the best in NYC.

Cons

Company is too big. Management has no understanding of what parts of the company do. Parts of the company are starved of resources. If you work there, there's no opportunity for advancement, and the focus is on cutting costs.

Advice to Management

Learn what your company does. Invest in the publishing arm. Or sell it to someone who cares and would invest in it.

2. "A wonderful learning environemnt"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Viacom as an intern

Pros

Working closely with the industry professionals. Great learning opportunities

Cons

Sometimes not enough work given to interns