Victoria's Secret Stores - It is an okay place to work if you don't want to work a lot. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Victoria's Secret Stores

"It is an okay place to work if you don't want to work a lot."

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good associate discounts, especially if you are a Pink girl. Got some Pink outfis for free.

Cons

For part time associates they would cancel shifts if the store was not busy. A lot of my shifts got cancelled or I was told to go home early. Always got pressured to make sales goals and to open up credit cards. Pay was barely over minimum wage and never got an increase in the 6 months I worked there.

Advice to Management

Give better pay to sales associates and try to give better hours instead of hiring more and more workers.

Other Employee Reviews for Victoria's Secret Stores

"Hidden Secrets of Victoria Secret Associate Retail Life"

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time

Pros

Connecting with other customers and employees about the fun Victoria's Secret Products. The brand/culturemessage is positive. Loved some of the managers to pieces - really good people.

Cons

You are owned by the brand. You sign away all your rights. Part-Time Associates do not have a voice if they feel there is an in-justice. ( no union for accountability) Also, benefits that a Starbucks/Trader Joe's (customer service) part-time employee would have do not exist for Victoria's Secret employees. Also, when starting off as an associate, expect an un-predictable weekly schedule (on-call shifts) and heavy lifting (setting up Brand Guides, Semi-Annual Sales) - I feared for my public safety everyday on the job and always took my time if I had to move/set up fixtures and/or take out trash/recycling. Do NOT get seduced by the brand that you are selling, unless your intention is to have a career in retail or with this company. I am writing this for the girls who are thinking about a part-time job through college or whatever. I have had many co-worker friends complain to me as a fellow associate about hours, working conditions, and what not. There are better jobs out there.

Advice to Management

I have no ill will towards any of the managers I had. Once again, they were all just doing their job and good people.

"I wouldn't recommend it..."

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount (30% off regular priced items. Nothing on sale or promotion)
    Lively atmosphere, smells good.
    Good if you want to work for something to do, not just make money.

Cons

The pay is a big one. You make minimum wage or slightly above, and while you can get a raise yearly (during your review) I never knew anyone who got more than 26 cents. Often you'll get less. That isn't terrible if it happen more often, but since you start at such a low rate, a twenty cent raise once a year isn't much to live on.

The hours. Shifts are super inconsistent. During holidays they will overwork you, and the second season is over they start cutting shifts like crazy. I would go weeks with getting no more than call-in shifts.

Call-in shifts! You have to call-in two hours before you are scheduled to see if they need you. They also have on-calls, an example shift would look like this: 2:00-6:00 on-call till 8. So you could be off at 6, or they could keep you until 8. Even without the oncalls, I was never going home on time. I was often there at least half an hour past my off time, because there would be go backs that you weren't allowed to do until you were off.

The managers were catty. Every year employees take an anonymous survey about what they think about the workplace. When my store had the results come in, the managers were not happy to see that we employees had not scored our store very well. They spent most of a meeting trying to get people to admit to who said what. They were even writing down what people said! The survey is anonymous for a reason. Our managers said that we didn't understand the questions, and that is why they got a negative score. Instead of using the survey how it was intended, they acting like we were dumb.

Very, very little training. Especially cashiers. We were thrown at the front to fend for ourselves. Often they would hire new cashiers during holiday, but they would not train them. When the new cashiers were slow, they were yelled at and belittled over the headsets for every employee to hear. We had cashwrap leads, but they never did anything. They rarely even rang.

Inconsistent managers. One wants you to do something this way, another yells at you for doing it that way. They aren't clear about what they want. When the GM closed she would make sure the people she liked closed with her and they would just hang out. Opening the next morning was more like closing, because the store would be an absolute mess. If another manager were to do that though, they would get shouted at.

No opportunity to move up. In the three years I worked there, the only change to happen in management was a GM left. This allowed two managers to move slightly, but that was it. Those in upper management rarely ever move up, which means YOU do not move up. There just aren't any positions. During holiday there are some opportunities to become an elevated employee, but those positions are temporary. You will not get to keep it.

Lastly, the turn around! I constantly had no idea who I was working with, because people came and went like crazy. In one day we had six people just stop showing up. The next day we had three. A lot of new hires are 18.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other about how you want things handled.

Train! I can't tell you how much easier and smoother our holidays would have gone had everyone been trained better.

Give people recognition! A girl I worked with got 17 angel credit cards, and didn't even get a "great job" or "thank you!" Credit cards benefit the managers, not the employees. She met the credit card goal for the entire week in one shift and the managers couldn't be bothered to at least tell her "good job."