Virgin America - Creating WOW!! | Glassdoor

"Creating WOW!!"

Current Employee - Pilot in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Pilot in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Changing the guest experience to become America's favorite airline. Fun atmosphere, team oriented, and great brand recognition. Very young fleet of aircraft with all the high tech amenities that business travelers need.

Cons

We're still on the low side of the pay scale compared with our peers in the industry. Still need some work on consistency of applying work rules.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and consistent when applying work rules.

Other Employee Reviews for Virgin America

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is truly amazing, I've never experienced anything like it before. Fantastic uniforms that are young and fresh. An amazing product that is incomparable- whenever I tell people that I work for Virgin they always respond with, "I love that airline!" Coworkers that are genuinely happy to come to work. Open door policy regarding questions/concerns. We have been voted "the best domestic carrier" consistently year after year and I truly believe that is because of the people that work here.

Cons

Virgin is still a baby compared to most airlines (we're going into our sixth year) so there are a few growing pains. I wish the pay scale was a bit higher considering our three bases are in some of the most expensive cities in the U.S. (San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York). Reserve sucks (but that's at every airline). I wish we had more zed fare agreements. Insurance can be a bit expensive.

"Disorganized company with inexperienced leadership"

Current Employee - Guest Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only real good thing about working for this company is a majority of the great people you will meet and the friends you will make. Flexibility is good with being able to trade shifts, hours are not bad.

Cons

There are so many things I don't like about this company. The main things are they hire incompetent people to work for them because they care more about personality and looks than they do about how you can perform the job. A lot of the people they hire at Virgin have strong personalities which causes a "too many cooks in the kitchen" atmosphere with strong opinions going left and right and nothing gets agreed upon or accomplished. They like to hire inexperienced leadership, people with no experience to lead a team who have no social skills. They promote egocentric people who get big heads after attaining a position of power. On top of that the company itself is disorganized and they care more about doing what the passenger wants to be happy than abiding by company policies and procedures to make money. Policies and procedures are inconsistent among the entire company as rules aren't ever consistently followed. They aren't doing what they should be to be an airline that will be around for much longer. Career growth/opportunities are null unless you want to relocate to corporate. There is no growth for you at any of the airports. If you want to come here for further career opportunities, think again because there won't be any unless you want to move to expensive San Francisco. On top of that, compensation is low, benefits are not good like other airlines, senior leadership say they care about each of you, they don't.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced supervisors who know how to run a team like butter. The company over all needs to be more consistent with guest-facing policies and procedures, there is so much unclarity in policies and procedures that no one knows that the proper procedure is and people do what they feel like. Need better leadership.