Virginia Tech - Satisfying | Glassdoor

"Satisfying"

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Blacksburg, VA
Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at Virginia Tech part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment
Very knowledgeable students

Cons

Located in semi-rural area. Makes having car a necessity.

Other Employee Reviews for Virginia Tech

1. "West End was a fun place to work, good balance of work/social life."

Former Employee - Server in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Blacksburg, VA

Pros

Management was very friendly, welcoming.
    The work was fast paced, so time goes by quickly. I worked in the Pizza shop, and had the opportunity to do something different each time I came to work. I could arrange my schedule around my availability, as a student, and only had to work 10 hours a week. It was easy to get time off for exams, sickness, etc. if necessary, as long as you tell your manager in advance. You get a free meal with every shift you work. I have never had any problems with the customers or employees- most are very nice and respectful. Every now and then, there will be an event hosted by management for the employees, e.g. movie night

Cons

Some employees didn't really like their job, and it showed. Sometimes, communication is poor between chefs and store workers about inventory, and it is not uncommon to run out of one or more products.

Advice to Management

Kudos to Managers for showing that they care, and for running a business where (mostly) everyone is happy. Give recognition to your base employees, not just student managers (SAMs) when it is due.

2. "Only expect a raise or promotion if someone leaves or you have another offer on the table."

Current Employee - Computer Support Analyst in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Support Analyst in Blacksburg, VA

Pros

Great School to be around. Great potential for personal development with the University. Great people to work with in terms of personality (not skills)

Cons

Most people in the department are old, and using brand new computers with a 1992 mentality. ("You mean I need to turn on the printer before I click Print?!"). Management gets comfortable with you working in your current position (Blames it on State Budget). Yet when you present an external job offer, they eventually match it.