Virginia Tech - Effective and I learned a lot. It is just like an other graduate research position at a major university. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Virginia Tech

"Effective and I learned a lot. It is just like an other graduate research position at a major university."

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Blacksburg, VA
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Virginia Tech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You earn money to go to school. Experience varies by professor and department, but it was an overall exciting experience. My department and professor are very organized and professional and push you to succeed. I am very satisfied with the work that I am doing and people are friendly for the most part.

Cons

Buildings can be old and I have seen more than my share of cockroaches. Also, changing a position from research assistant to teaching assistant is difficult. Also, if you are a teaching assistant then you can sometimes have more teaching assignments than you can manage.

Other Employee Reviews for Virginia Tech

1. "Sometimes mundane, sometimes interesting, but the people are very friendly"

Current Employee - Fabrication Assistant in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Fabrication Assistant in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Virginia Tech part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always encouraged to learn and increase your skills pallet.

Cons

The pay is horrible, and the work can be extremely mundane at times.

2. "Great people, good opportunities for student work"

Former Employee - Caller Guide in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Caller Guide in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at Virginia Tech part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The administration in general is very welcoming and nice. Student workers are given a good amount of responsibility and are treated with respect. Supervisors understand that this is temporary work and are not too hard on you. Depending on your position, schedules can be flexible and accommodate your class schedule.

Cons

Lots of overlap of responsibilities among offices, resulting sometimes in miscommunication. Inter-dependencies of several departments compete with staff incentives to solve problems internally. Some staff have been there a long time and are generally pretty complacent.

Advice to Management

Evaluate offices and make sure staff is held accountable for their responsibilities.