Visa Inc. - Solid stable company, but slow to innovate and create new opportunities. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Visa Inc.

"Solid stable company, but slow to innovate and create new opportunities."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand name and business stability

Cons

At Visa innovation is slow; it does not recognize and reward performance and entrepreneurship.

Other Employee Reviews for Visa Inc.

"An unfortunate career mistake exists here"

Former Employee - Lead Systems Architect in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Architect in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want work/life balance and you are near retirement, Visa is exactly where you want to be.

Cons

Visa, in particular the V.me group, is a disaster of an organization.

Visa is doing great financially, because every time someone uses their Visa debit/credit card, Visa gets a 0.2% "cut." So, without doing anything particularly innovative, as long as Visa continues to cherish their relationships with banks, they will make money hand over fist and the egregious internal problems with poor management, low employee morale, and disgusting tolerance of managers who have absolutely no business being managers (i.e. sociopaths and control freaks) will have little to no effect on those results.

However, times are a-chaingin'. Traditional payments between banks is changing. Banks are changing and evolving as well, innovating where Visa cannot (again, due to its nasty internal problems that are currently ignored due to the current financial stability of the company). Visa won't last without making DRASTIC internal cultural changes.

No one at V.me takes accountability or responsibility for results. They allow infighting and political backstabbing to rule the day, rather than getting things done. As a result, V.me went through several "pivots" (a.k.a. we screwed up yet again because we cannot get our act together in IT) and is now in danger of being on the chopping block. More importantly, management allows absolutely no innovation, forcing everyone to abide by their narrow, completely backwards (and out-of-date) technical designs.

Welcome to Visa's culture.

At the end of the day, if you want work/life balance and you are near retirement, Visa is exactly where you want to be. But if you're looking for challenges and a career boost, Visa will leave you sorely disappointed.

Advice to Management

Completely abolish the management structure in V.me IT. Start over. Worst case scenario: you make the same mistakes. Best case scenario: you may actually accomplish something.

"Over a decade with the company"

Current Employee - Treasury Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Treasury Analyst in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Visa had great benefits prior to becoming a public company. People who were employed before the IPO kept a lot of these benefits. Compared to other companies, Visa does have some good benefits.

Cons

Top heavy on management, huge salary difference between managment and workers, often promotions/uppper positions are reserved for friend/coworkers from previous companies for management, rather than promote from within.

Advice to Management

Cut unnecessary layers of management, look at employee work and promote accordingly.