Visa Inc. - Not a good place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Visa Inc.

"Not a good place to work"

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

It's nice that the company has high revenue per employee and can afford what it needs. Compensation is pretty good. Stock price generally good.

Cons

It's pretty dysfunctional. It's common to spend $100k - $1MM (or more) for a consulting firm whose work will be discarded once its done. The annual financial planning takes more than half the year. Then there are the politics and the generally passive-aggressive culture. Visa is also risk-adverse to it's detriment.

Advice to Management

Provide a vision for all the layoffs and restructuring, and for the new direction for the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Visa Inc.

"My Professional Journey at Visa"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As of this review, I have worked at Visa Inc for ~7 years and my experience at the company has been very positive on the whole. Now don't think that I have not faced my share of challenges. I have. But I managed to work through each of these with support provided by my management team. For this support, I will always be grateful and the fact that this support was provided is a huge positive for the company. But beyond this, I have been provided many opportunities for professional growth and development and I have taken advantage of each of these. These opportunities came both in the form of the job itself, gaining mastery of mature and complex business processes, and in the form of a significant educational benefit that exceeds $5K a year. With this educational benefit I have earned three professional certifications, two from Stanford University's Center for Professional Development and the third from the ScrumAlliance. Through my had work and commitment, combined with the opportunities afforded to me, I have professionally progressed within the Visa Inc. and have been given the further opportunity of working in an entirely new role. So the journey continues...

Cons

I joined Visa Inc prior to the IPO when technically it was a privately held company, Inovant. As a result I have been through numerous layoffs, restructurings, and senior and executive management changes. All in all significant turmoil. The unfortunate effect of these changes is a culture of fear within the company. For example, more than once staff with whom I have been working just disappears due to a layoff. How did I find out? Through a email bounce back alerting me that the staff was no longer in the company address book. No notice, no goodbyes, just gone. If this type of occurrence was infrequent, that would be one scenario. Unfortunately it is frequent enough to result in the culture of fear mentioned previously.

Oh and one other thing. You may recall my mention of 'mastery of mature and complex business processes' above. Well these processes also have significant overhead associated with them and seem to get worse with each senior and executive management change.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge and address the culture of fear. Continue efforts to improve staff relationships. Retain mature business processes but streamline these to the extent possible. Continue efforts to innovate and grow the company to avoid 'who moved my cheese' scenario(s).

2. "Director - Product Development"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Miami, FL

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Great Salaries
    Great working environment
    Good life-work balance

Cons

Career opportunities - Difficulty climbing the corporate ladder (Advancement)