Visionworks - Eyecare Centers of America | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Visionworks

"Eyecare Centers of America"

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Retail Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

in the right environment, it is a good opportunity to learn the optical industry.

Cons

ECCA's marketing is designed to lure customers into their stores and upsell to the extreme. It is a bait and switch mentality. The training concentrates on selling versus optical knowledge. Associates face intense pressure to meet company sales expectations or they will be replaced with "better" salespeople. Managers face similar if not more intense pressure to meet performance expectations, sometimes very unrealisitic expectations. Upper management does not care about their associates, only performance expectations. If they don't need it, convince them they do and sell it to them anyway.

It is also not a family or team culture. Upper management's attitude is that anyone can easily be replaced.

Advice to Management

Senior management should reevaluate the current bait and switch marketing model. They should understand that the customers entrust us with their healthcare and we should adopt a higher degree of integrity into the selling process that exists now.

Other Employee Reviews for Visionworks

1. "Mostly content with ECCA"

Current Employee - District Technical Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - District Technical Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

I have been with ECCA for almost 17 years and I've had the oppurtunity to try multiple jobs. Even when I didn't do a great job in retail, I was allowed to change to lab without the threat of counseling or termination. Now I'm incredibly happy with what I do.

Cons

In certain markets that ECCA is in, if you want to advance, you would have to relocate. Also, I travel extensively for ECCA and in doing so, I feel that I am not fairly compensated for being away from my family and my own store.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with the people at the store level. Many times, they don't know what direction the company is headed.

2. "Decent for minimum wage job, but no opportunities for advancement or full time"

I have been working at Visionworks part-time

Pros

Vision insurance kicks in after 30 days. Fantastic plan, covers annual exam and contacts or glasses. Pay is hourly minimum wage with some level of commission (usually around 2%)

Cons

They do not offer full time positions to sales associates, so many work at least another job. No established paid vacation days, and even if I work a 10 hour day, only get a half hour lunch break. Schedule is not consistent at all.

Advice to Management

Have contracts readily available online to be accessed by employees.