Vistaprint - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Lexington, MA
Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth:
There's a great deal of talented engineers that work here. Getting in touch with the right people will open up opportunities for a great advancement in your career. Many people are very friendly and approachable.

In my specific case, I had a team that really cared for me. They made sure I wasn't working long hours and made sure that I was comfortable with the amount of work I was being given. I'm sure that if I asked for more or less work they would've made that adjustment for me.

Work/Life balance:
Being an intern, I was tied to a 40-hour work week, but I do know that some salaried members would go over that time in order to meet deadlines. I'm sure the balance is variable among teams, but I had an overall good experience with the balance.

Culture:
As an intern, I had the opportunity to meet many of the executives at Vistaprint, as well as partake in various intern events that were quite fun. We even had an opportunity to see one of their manufacturing plants!

There's weekly happy hours known as "The View", where employees can get together and relax once the week is finally coming to a close.

I like the direction that the company is taking. I'm excited to see the changes that are being made and the reasoning behind these changes. Re-organizations also mean that teams will be more tight-knit than what they were before, which will allow them to better collaborate. This will in turn increase efficiency of all members across the board.

Cons

Upper Management:
There needs to be a closer tie between upper management and developers. Although there are attempts to be on the same page about progress on various projects, I believe that a little more effort can be made. However, it does seem like the company in general is moving in a direction that will make it easier for these parties to interact, which is great.

Advice to Management

Take a look at who isn't pulling their own weight. Micro-managing isn't a good thing, but sometimes it's necessary to step in to make sure that you have an idea of what's actually going on.

Other Employee Reviews for Vistaprint

"Great company, great culture, interesting work"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned with Vistaprint over the summer of 2014, and it was pretty awesome. The team I worked on was very supportive and helpful, the problems I had to take on were tough, but really interesting... but best of all was the culture. Vistaprint, compared to a lot of other software development companies, is full of relaxed people who will work hard to get stuff done to make all the products, from our website to all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, but are very relaxed about it. Work/life balance is awesome - managers set a great example of this.
    I don't know if it's necessarily a place I'd settle in forever, but it'd for sure be a solid first job to gain some experience and do some really cool stuff.

Cons

The company is currently working on some major reorganization initiatives, and as a result, sometimes things can be a little confusing (like when your team name changes)... I've also heard a lot about managers who aren't so great, but I have had no experience with that yet.
    But the upside is that they're working on it and improving it.

"The world's worst place to work, I wish zero start were an option to rate this place"

Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free beer. Can negotiate high compensation (just threaten to leave). If you can stick around long enough you will be promoted every 2 years...not a bad way to go from Manager to Director in 4 years. Not much else to throw in here.

Cons

Massive culture problems, which cause rampant attrition or worse random layoffs (of which there have been many). The Company hires too fast in one area and then lays you off. Lack of a cohesive strategy. Executive management is nonexistent. Issues with sexual harrassment, bullying managers forcing people to work till midnight every night, etc. Truly horrible, horrible place. Do yourself a favor and never look at this Company, unless you know you can endure the pain for 2 years, but make sure you get paid a large compensation package.

Advice to Management

Go private...this isn't a Company that can handle being publically traded. Someone needs to have the guts to clean house and make this a functional place to work.