Vitacost - No Trust In Leadership. It is like quicksand. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vitacost

"No Trust In Leadership. It is like quicksand."

Former Employee - Creative Director in Boca Raton, FL
Former Employee - Creative Director in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do not have anything good to say about this company.

Cons

There systems are ancient. NO work and family separating. To concerned about money and not innovation. Any innovation they did do was not innovative. No growth potential and low salaries. The CMO is not savvy and caused a lot of issues with initiatives that failed and cost the company. Let me be clear, his idea. Not a friendly work environment and to many people in Leadership working hard and not smart.

Advice to Management

Get some real educated leaders in eCommerce and do not lose them. Treat people with the respect they deserve.

Other Employee Reviews for Vitacost

"Same as most reviews here. Company was promising at one time."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many pros made me join the company a few years back. These included:

1. Company provided lunch on Fridays - now gone
    2. Monthly birthday and employee SPOT/recognition awards - now gone
    3. Work from home option - now gone
    4. Company supplied pens and notebooks - now gone; employees encouraged to pilfer pens from doctors offices, etc. so provide their own.
    5. Stable and fun landscape of the company
    6. Company monthly allowance for free products - $100 to $50 to zero - i.e. now gone
    7. Sporadic 'fun' activities like cakes, treats, free products - now gone as well

Cons

The CEO micro manages most departments based on his perceived intuition. I genuinely like the man; he is a generous person and has done great things, but his approach has rubbed me and other employees the wrong way over the past year. He complains a lot about people behind their back while talking sweetly to their face. Very vocal man; not strategic or appropriate.

Many of the original perks are gone, if not all. The company has been watching their purse strings through 2 CFOs, 4 or 5 CIOs and countless managers. The company has a noticeable 'sadness' among employees with a very apparent negative morale. I left on my own after realizing that eventually, my career would be a dead end there. There was constant reminders of saving money and not providing the same old fun type things of yesteryear.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your approach to strategic growth. The company grew from about 40 employees to over 200 in about a year. The cubicles were taken down and there was an obvious tone of negativity among many areas of the company. You're growing too fast and have lost a lot of good talent; some by their own decision and some by your own poor choice of layoffs/firings.

"Too much drama."

Former Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So small you are exposed to a lot.

Cons

Didn't like childish drama by leaders.