Vitacost - Going elsewhere like so many others | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vitacost

"Going elsewhere like so many others"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boca Raton, FL
Current Employee - Marketing in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant co worker are abundant as well as mostly intelligent people. Sunny state, nice area and plenty of walking sidewalks around the complex as I walk a lot. I also use the workout and showers periodically at night.

Cons

The outlook of the company concerns me dearly. I am an old timer (6 years) and we are not turning a profit still. We are cutting back a lot and even the CEO has dumped millions of his own money to help us stay afloat. I genuinely like the company and people, but we can't seem to turn a profit. for whatever reason. I am afraid it will be a mass lay off so I am currently looking elsewhere. I have nothing 'bad' to say about the company except that the aura is negative and many people do indeed gossip and partake in immature activities like many reviews here state. Personally, I am over that, just looking for a stable and growing company to join so I can enjoy the last 3rd or so of my career. I have seen a CIO, VP, COO and 4 management members leave over the past 8 or 9 months (many by their own doing and many others through 'layoffs' and this has me concerned).

Advice to Management

Get some help to steer the organization to a stable financial state. The current ways don't seem to be working and many employees are creating a negative workplace. Give some sort of incentive like SPOT awards on a monthly basis; this was done over the years, but stopped last summer.

Other Employee Reviews for Vitacost

1. "Opportunity Abound and a Happy Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for several large corporations in my career and this is the first time working for a "smaller" company. Vitacost has a LOT of opportunity and as support functions and management find new and better ways of doing things and getting products to market faster - they don't sit in ivory towers making decisions with no input. They rally the teams and get a round table approach to problems and find REAL solutions.

As for the previous comments about "no more employee lunches" and "no free goods" - well you obviously don't know what is important in a work environment. The measure of a successful company, is its ability to grow and evolve. When you stay stagnant and rest on your laurels of the "yesteryear" you fail.

The CEO (as every CEO does) expects results. If you are expecting less from any management team, perhaps you should find another field. However, different from the other companies I have worked at, the CEO here sits with his people, is interested in their personal lives, their education on the industry.

As for the comment about excel skills and no industry experience - the measure of a truly successful merchant is being able to learn the widget, analyze the information about its performance, negotiate better metrics and EXECUTE. I have worked as a buyer in half a dozen vastly different industries and never failed at getting them to grow. Its the measure of your ability to manage a business, not necessarily know every detail of one particular product category before entering into it.

The morale is the BEST I have ever experienced. I genuinely am excited (as are most other emplyees here) and happy about coming into work everyday and feel motivated and encouraged to continue to grow. Feedback is given and performance measured but its an environment where I feel I can make a mistake and not be made to feel that I am not valued because of it. Its definitely one of the best companies I have worked for and am excited about growing as the company grows!

Cons

Regret I didn't come here sooner.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work and the company will continue the healthy upward growth towards greatness!

"Great job for an 18 year old who lives with their parents, low pay, gossip and crappy hours"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carolina, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carolina, NC

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ice pellet machine, and nice landscaping.

Cons

No growth opportunity, a lot of inter-office secret relationships and dramatics of the high school kind, no training, CEO getting insane pay increases and I couldn't even get a 20 cent raise after 3 years...they took the discounts away, they took the free monthly $25 in supplements away, insurance got worse and the price got higher, can't keep anyone in HR or any executive position for that matter, for any decent amount of time. From 2009-2013 it has become a different company in the worst of ways, the excellent reviews are fake as well, I know how this company operates...

Advice to Management

No thanks.