Vitamin Shoppe - Retail is a dead end/ transition job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vitamin Shoppe

"Retail is a dead end/ transition job."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You get to learn a lot
-Small team
-Fast pace
-Flexible schedule
- Not tyrannical on pointless rules.
-Insurance
-Opportunity for "growth", if retail is your thing....

Cons

-May be called in on your day off, many stores are constantly low staff due to various reasons (you could say no without any real penalty but of course that's your reputation)

-Customers expect you to be doctors, makes you want to tell them that you only make ~$9 an hour

-I've noticed that for managers, much of the relationship between DM and them is of the butt kisser to butt kissee nature, but this is typical retail.

-2 extremes for the types of stores, if you're in a city store with high traffic, you'll be so busy that its hard to complete operation tasks. OR Your store will be so slow that its boring and possibly depressing.

- Next step above associate is Temp Keyholder which means more responsibility and NO PAY RAISE, haha, jokes on you big shot.

Side Note:
I've worked several retail jobs and this is almost as good as it gets this side of high end retail or costco. You're basically the CEO's and shareholders slave. Basically, this place exemplifies why there needs to be more retail unions. Welcome to America. My advice is go back to school or parlay the stuff you learn here to a better career. Pay breakdown for Chicagoland: Health Enthusiast- $8.25-$9.75, Key Holder- $9.50- $10.75 Other positions are listed in the salaries tab.

Advice to Management

We all know business is booming, we can see the stocks just like everyone else. Break a little off for the associates. Stop being cheap trying to weasel out of single penny on the yearly raise. Or if a store is doing well, AT LEAST reward them with bonuses.

Other Employee Reviews for Vitamin Shoppe

"Ex ASM"

Former Employee - ASM
    Former Employee - ASM

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easiest job ever! I was able to educate myself- as I knew way more than store manager who has been in position after 10 years- not exactly the pilar of health either!

Cons

No challenge- felt like a babysitter! Limited growth unless move to corp. headquarters. District manager, and most corp. came from either "Babies R Us" or "Pet-Co" corp. which has No translation to the Vitamin/Supplement industry- which means they have very limited knowledge of industry and it shows!!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is Really going on in stores and just maybe you will get the quality peaple needed to actually grow your business. Instead everyone with authority is just with a lot of brown nose, and smoke and mirrors, so the good ones will never stay!

"Underpaid, Overworked, Very unfair to employees"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and customers. Learn new things about supplements

Cons

Too much of a work load for so little pay.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate those who have worked so hard to make your company succeed. Quit overworking employees and teach your District Managers and Regional Managers how to give positive criticism and respect.