Vitamin Shoppe - Training IRRESPONSIBLE and Not as Good As they Claim | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vitamin Shoppe

"Training IRRESPONSIBLE and Not as Good As they Claim"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some education in holistic supplements, limited by how much they think you should learn based on how long you have worked there.

Cons

You are asked to pretend that you work at a pharmacy--except you don't. You are being trained by people who largely have NO EDUCATION IN HEALTH, and have simply memorized sales pitches. Obviously this can get you and the company into a lot of problems. Yes, you can learn a lot, but you will need to spend your off hours researching the whole story behind the use of any herb and how they interact with the human body and many illnesses. It's a great place to cut your teeth. The problem is that the customers, and your own curiosity will demand that you learn more than the company is willing to teach you. It will be up to you to be responsible to learn these things so that you don't recommend products that could be dangerous or just not helpful. That's the mental part. Inbetween answering questions, you will stock shelves, clean house and rotate product as they do not hire a separate staff to do that. It's not hard, but it means the job is both physically and mentally exhausting. Oh and the first thing they ask you to do is take a drug test to prove that you don't use drugs. Unfortunately the company's drug policy is a joke, as you will spend much of your time explaining to the customers which products to take so the drugs will be cleaned from their bodies. I am all for second chances, but it disgusting that I would have to teach people how to cheat on drug tests so they can get a job. We are also cautioned not to promise the drug users anything because heaven forbid they should FAIL THEIR DRUG TEST, then Vitamin Shoppe could be sued. I'm not a drug user, and that I be submitted to such lunacy was demeaning.

Advice to Management

The idea of Vitamin Shoppe is very beautiful, however, if you wish to be anything more than a snake oils sales man, then you need to focus on education and respect for holistic and herbal practices.

Other Employee Reviews for Vitamin Shoppe

"Wish I would have know what I was walking into"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Vitamin Shoppe full-time

Pros

I love supplements so working with them was amazing!

Cons

Hours, Culture, Upper Management, Pay, HR all a joke I am not sure where they hire these people from but they sure didn't check them out. Area Manager changes every few months, seems as if they can't hire quality

Advice to Management

Serious issue in this market, someone needs to take over for HR and do some hiring out here. Been without an Area Manager too long. Get on a plane get the job done!

"Anti Union verbage in employee handbook"

Former Employee - Store Associate in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Vitamin Shoppe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean, well lit store with ample parking for employees. Water fountain inside breakroom/ storage/ receiving area. Employee discount offered as well.

Cons

Overly aggressive employee anti-theft and corporation privacy strategies that come across as threats during computer-prompted training sessions. These warnings are reinforced regularly with a bag/ parcel/ tote/ briefcase check upon every entry back into store. Poor environment of fear and monitoring is instilled. Corporation is main stockholder of its anti-theft monitoring software.