KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place To Work, But Not Forever - Business Development Manager

Mar 23, 2017 - Director of Business Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO - AMAZING! Flexible work/life balance - they are extremely understanding of emergencies and illness. I love how my manager didn't make me feel guilty for needing to take time off. And I worked from home one day per week! Hawaii Beach House Relaxed dress code - I wore leggings and sneakers to work every day except when I had client meetings. Decent benefits Tuition Reimbursement of up to $8K per year

Cons

Vitamin T is EXTREMELY metrics and numbers driven... as expected because it's a staffing agency, right? WRONG! Vitamin T tracks how many connects you make with contacts you call and how many orders you bring in per week. Most staffing companies care about your activity numbers. Though both of these are important metrics to track, realistically, the expectations are stupid. I don't have control over who answers the phone when I call... I can only control how many people I reach out to. I can call the same person 5 times and never get an answer, but I don't get credit for that because that's not what they're holding me accountable for. Again... STUPID. I get the cause and effect of it where one breeds the results of the other, but you should hold people accountable for metrics they actually can control. I also think it's stupid to track FTEs and not gross profit. Why are you so focused on how many hours and people are out working instead of being more worried about how much money they're bringing the company? Again... stupid. I got put on a performance plan for FOUR WEEKS because I wasn't hitting 50 connects and putting in 5 orders per week. Not only was the performance plan STUPID, but FOUR WEEKS? That's it? They should've just fired me then because it's not possible for any sales person in this organization to be able to hit certain metrics in such a short amount of time with no leadership or direction. To ask your manager to help introduce you to contacts and old connections they have in their network and to be told that there isn't any in a metro city is just absurd. What was my activity you ask? Well... EXTREMELY high since the expectations were extremely unrealistic. Yet, was I ever praised for making 500 calls in a week? Nope. Just condemned for NOT bringing in 5 orders and connecting with 50 people. Talk about undervalued. It's a revolving door around here for employees because of management expectations. I've never been in a company that held you accountable for metrics they weren't trying to help you reach. And let's not forget some other cons: Commission Structure is terrible, so if you're in a market that isn't doing well, you won't make any good money. Clique-y. It's all about friendships and relationships. Management will look out for you if you're their friend, but if you have no working or personal relationship with the manager, you can forget about them trying to help you. Privileges and incentives are given to friends of managers, not everyone else, so you can bet that you'll be promoted if you and the manager go out every Friday over the person who is actually the TOP performer on the team. Management will make up lies about you in WRITING and send them to HR. Managers who are in management shouldn't be. A lot of them use their own biased in the job that not only leads to neglect of employees, but a lack of investment in their growth. Company is more focused on the quantity of EVERYTHING than the quality. You will have meetings everyday talking about the same things. Your manager will ask what orders are coming in for that DAY, and you better have an answer ready. And if you don't have any to mention, he/she won't provide any suggestions or interject themselves in the process to help you hit your goals. Tenure is more important than ability, skills and production. If you're new and not producing, you'll be fired before the person who's been there for 5 years and hasn't produced. And they'll put the worst possible people in management and senior positions to train and then ask questions as to why the market isn't performing. Well... your management choice has a lot to do with that, Vitamin T. Most of the managers and senior level folks in the company input things in the system for the sake of having a number calculated, but won't ACTUALLY have done the work. I have friends who still work for Vitamin T who have so many complaints about the managers and the expectations. My advice... if you're in sales and looking to be successful, Vitamin T isn't the place. Trust me.

Continue reading
    14 people found this review helpful

Vitamin T Response

President

Very disappointed to read this. This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T (likely you expected my response since you worked here!), and I genuinely wish you had reached out directly before you left. First of all, thank you for acknowledging the perks of working here - my favorite perk is the the people we get to work with here (another reason for my disappointment at your experience). I also know you've heard me say this before, but the more we reach out, the more opportunity we identify, which is why contacting customers is so important. That said, I hope you also heard me say it is NOT about hitting a number. We are here to HELP PEOPLE, and the more people we connect with, the more opportunities we have to do just that. And that is why, yes, we use metrics (as most companies do). I'm sure you realize this, but GP is remarkably important, so that we can continue to invest in our company and help even more people connect - and FTEs are one way to achieve that. Again, surely nothing you didn't hear while you were here. Regardless, I'm sorry your experience here was not ideal for you, and I am more than happy to talk to you (or any of your friends who have concerns) if you'd like at shall@vitamintalent.com or 323 475 7374.

1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Vitamin T made my career transition a smooth one!

Oct 22, 2021 - Quantitative User Experience Researcher in Akron, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

This past spring I made a career transition and ultimately went with Vitamin T to help me make that transition as a contractor. To be clear: Vitamin T is a *great* company with *great* people. My recruiter has been incredibly supportive and transparent from before my very first interview to present day. She has set aside time to check in with me, to make sure I was/am a good fit in my role. And my recruiter has also been an advocate for me, encouraging my home company to hire me for an FTE role while also acknowledging the possibility of helping me pursue similar contract roles with other companies should this one not work out. Frankly, that gives me a feeling of confidence and security knowing I have someone in my corner! Other things: Vitamin T knows how to communicate with employees. They don't bombard you with emails, but they do send occasional offers to sign up for health benefits and 401k plans (those are optional for contractors). They also have a referral program that offers a small monetary incentive to get other talent into the Vitamin T pipeline. So good programs here, too.

Cons

Honestly, no cons to Vitamin T. They have given me a great opportunity as someone who switched careers (and industries). What they really offer in that regard is a way to get your foot in the door.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Vitamin T Response

President

Hello - We really appreciate this feedback about your experience with Vitamin T and our Recruiter. We work tirelessly on improving how we serve Talent and Clients. It's always motivating to read when our efforts are making a difference in people's lives. Thank you for choosing us to represent you during your career switch and job search. Mark Brim

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Doesn't always practice what they preach

Nov 23, 2021 - Recruiter/Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, great company culture, especially during 2020. Really took care of all employees during the pandemic (ie no layoffs) , and quickly adapted to WFH.

Cons

Pay is much lower than competitors, Very sales focused environment, where recruiters are second class in many cases, even though they are the drivers of productivity. Did not react to the "great resignation" -- lost countless talented individuals by not paying market value.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Vitamin T.