Viterbo University - Great Place to Work | Glassdoor

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

Pros

You feel like you're part of a family, working at Viterbo. Great sharing between departments. Your individual skills and talents are encouraged and there are plenty ways to keep you challenged.

Cons

The pay and upward mobility could be better. Although those could be the general challenges of any smaller private university.

Other Employee Reviews for Viterbo University

1. "Satisfactory"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Viterbo University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generally collegial and hospitable atmosphere; strong emphasis on teaching and service; relatively easy to achieve promotion and tenure; most students capable of college-level work; work-life balance acceptable after 5+ years.

Cons

Emphasis on flagship professional programs (nursing, business, education, fine arts) challenges liberal arts foundation; salaries below average; little green space on campus; very limited opportunities to conduct research; faculty expected to devote time to recruitment; work-life balance poor during first several years.

Advice to Management

Continue emphasis on hospitality and other values; clearly define roles and responsibilities for faculty and administration; stabilize leadership with appropriate hiring; reduce academic inbreeding; increase faculty compensation to market levels; increase research expectations and opportunities.

2. "Disillusioned and Disappointed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Viterbo University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Viterbo is a small, close-knit community. Probably the biggest perk to working at Viterbo is the tuition remission program for employees, spouses, and dependent children.

Cons

I attended Viterbo University as a student, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I enjoyed it so much that after graduation it became my goal to come back and work for Viterbo. After working at Viterbo for a while, I am terribly disillusioned and disappointed. The theme of servant leadership that inspired me as a student, translates into being taken advantage of as an employee. Let me explain. As an employee, servant leadership entails being paid below average for my job field, being overworked, and being underappreciated. Viterbo currently has no leave donation program.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and get better people in planning positions. There are amazingly talented and well-educated people working at Viterbo, yet their voices are rarely heard or taken seriously on campus. There are also a lot of big-picture people in positions of leadership, which can be good; but without the checks and balances of detail-orientated people many things fall through the cracks at Viterbo.