Volt Information Sciences - Horrible place to work!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Volt Information Sciences

"Horrible place to work!!"

Former Contractor - Technical Support in Tempe, AZ
Former Contractor - Technical Support in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Volt Information Sciences as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Pay wasn't bad
- Friendly and nice people
- If you're looking for a potential date, Volt is the place!
- A fair amount of overtime
- Easy to move up the latter

Cons

- Treated like you were replaceable
- Shared cubicles
- Timed bathroom breaks
- Sometimes was unable to find things at one cubicle, which caused you to be late to sign it
- Would be signed off the phone if you were late from the breaks
- Didn't care if you were sick with a severe infection, they will still write you up
- Didn't get paid extra for American holidays that most companies had off
- High turnover rate
- Takes some time to be a full employee (temp to full employee status)

Advice to Management

- Have people have their own cubicles. This causes less germs and people getting sick
- Don't write people up when they were sick in the hospital, had a doctors note, and still called out everyday with a bad blood infection!!

Other Employee Reviews for Volt Information Sciences

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Volt Information Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great company to work for if you're self-motivated and don't need any training to hit the ground running. No one is micro-managing you. This is great if you know what you're doing from day 1. It's just awful if you're new to recruiting. They don't train you until month two. What do you do for 4 weeks? Fight to get email and access to the network and a plethora of applications. Also a series of self-help webinars. They do like to promote from within, so it's a great company to grow with. Excellent work/life. This is an agency that won't expect you to live and breath your job.

Cons

Big corp red tape is about as bad as you can get here. It took me 2 weeks to get access to the network and email. That's just the tip of the dysfunctional iceberg. Documentation of the same information in at least 5 different applications - a lot of duplicity. ATS is outdated although the resume search function is great. Worst part - there are too many people all doing the same job or nearly the same job. So in the end, nothing gets done or too many people are doing the same thing or only a few people perform a task but only halfway. Salary is well below market.

Advice to Management

Apply Six Sigma methodology that you preach. Heads should roll.

2. "Microsoft contingent staff"

Former Contractor - Content Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Content Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information Sciences as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I had little or no communication with Volt throughout my two one-year agency contracts at Microsoft, which was fine with me, although it could be challenging for someone who needs more guidance, direction, or feedback.

As an a-, I worked onsite at Microsoft and was integrated with the FTEs, which I preferred over working from home. Being onsite resulted in a more solid and productive relationship with the client team. I formed stronger bonds and had more impact due to increased awareness of what was really going on (there's only so much you can glean from emails and conference calls--it's the pre/post meeting and hallway conversations that make the difference). I've also contracted for Microsoft through a vendor (v-), and unless your company pays the monthly rental fee for you to work onsite, you'll have to work from home or at the vendor's offices.

Cons

Volt's benefits have deteriorated over the years.

During my first contract, my main Volt point of contact was reshuffled three times.

This is my perception and I have no evidence, but I think Volt has lost momentum and that other agencies are trying harder to recruit and retain talent.

I never felt valued by Volt, and that didn't bother me, but others may place a higher importance on that.