Volt Information Sciences - No More Than a Pimp | Glassdoor

"No More Than a Pimp"

Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Maplewood, MN
Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at Volt Information Sciences as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

If all you want is a paycheck, this is the company for you.

Cons

After nearly 10 years in the same position I am no better off than someone who started a week ago. There is no contact with Volt Reps (and they are on-site) unless you initiate it. The health insurance plan we are offered is a farce. Of course, no vacation or retirement plans, and they have begun the process of eliminating paid holidays as well.

My management (corporate employees) at this very large international corporation have always been very happy with my work, and have given me great reviews (process initiated by me, never by Volt). Unfortunately, as "contingent" employees we don't appear in the headcount, and won't be hired by the Corporation.

There are reasons I haven't left before this, but the end is now in sight.

If you decide to work for Volt, expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed.

Advice to Management

Employees in long-term positions should not be treated like 2-week temporaries.

Other Employee Reviews for Volt Information Sciences

1. "Staffing company"

Former Contractor - Company Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Company Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Volt Information Sciences as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They help staff big name companies with contract/temp workers. I only spoke with Volt before and after the contract was over.

Cons

The representatives that gather your information tend to not reply.

2. "Once an empire, now in rubbles"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Volt has some great managers who are the best in buisiness at managing people. At large the recruiting database is constantly expanding and provides a ton of options. You are able to contriol your own financial destiny recruiting with commisions.

Cons

Raises are not common. Threatening to leave is about the only way. Performance management reviews are not even taken seriously and hold no merit. The only way to get promoted is if someone leaves or retires or dies.

Upper management communication seems absent to ground level employees and managers.
    and decisons get made without researching or getting advise from the people who are at ground level whose jobs will be affected. Accountants making marketing decisons at the executive level that have led to detrimental effects not only the company being delisted from the NYSE but also undermined buisiness in several of the most profitable buisiness sectors VOLT had been dominant in in the past decade.

Volts reputation is suffering as a result.

The choice to cut smaller support groups and use a centralize departments with less paid payroll staff and administrive staff for the whole country has led to more communication issues than money can justify.

Turnover is rampant.