Von Maur - The most blatantly racist company I have ever worked for in my life. | Glassdoor

"The most blatantly racist company I have ever worked for in my life."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Time and a half on Sunday.

Cons

This company works in their own self described "Grey Area." When it comes to disciplinary actions, blacks get written up and discharged while whites are allowed to continue working even though they have done exactly the same violations. If you are black and want to advance, all I can say is find somewhere else to try it. They will hire blacks and are absolutely comfortable keeping a black person as a... department manager or sales associate however, very few reach the executive management stage. Why is that? Do blacks not apply for those jobs? And when they do apply what are they told? As far as experience and qualifications go most of the individuals they have currently in the role of department managers, exceed the experience of their current floor managers, especially the one down on the first floor. You know, this type of behavior can only flow from the top down. This is 2014 I'm sure plenty of lawsuits are on the horizon for this company.

Advice to Management

Is anybody aware of what's really going on down here? You brought a new manager to Birmingham but the problems in the company are MUCH too big for her to handle alone.

Von Maur2014-03-19
  1. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Many advancement opportunities at this company!

Cons

It would be nice to wear pants.

Von Maur2019-04-01
  2. "Great working culture"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hoover, AL

I have been working at Von Maur part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People here are positive and fun. The customers who shop at Von Maur are wonderful its like having family you did not know you had. Managers work with you if you need time off. I would highly recommend working here. The management provides incentives for doing your job, some in cash ,some in products. Who else give you perks for doing your job?

Cons

Employees park on the second level of the parking deck. Lots of traffic from the mall during the holidays.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. If it isnt broke dont fix it. Ignore the unhappy former employees. Some folks want to make up their own rules and get unhappy when those rules are not appropriate.

Von Maur2019-11-10

Discover more reviews about Von Maur.