Vrbo - Bad Management- Toxic Culture for Marketing | Glassdoor

"Bad Management- Toxic Culture for Marketing"

Former Employee - Senior PR Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Vrbo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Pay was ok actually. Just no way to move up much beyond what you start with

Cons

-People have been leaving in DROVES. Both by choice, and many pushed out, laid off, fired. Especially in Marketing even at a time when the company is extremely profitable. - Horrible executive team, micromanagement from the CEO John Kim who is widely disliked within the company. (note many of the positive reviews here on Glassdoor are an attempt by HR to improve the ratings) Its a very toxic culture. Simply take a look at all the departures lately including in HR. Any employee at HomeAway will tell you how much they dislike John Kim the CEO and how disrespectful he is - No love for the marketing and PR department. The absolute worst place to be at HomeAway...now "VRBO" if you are a marketing or PR person, stay away as you will not grow here. The new executive here has no marketing experience at all. - Misleading HomeOwners "Partners" ? maybe someone should ask the company on the record- exactly what % of the homes listed on HomeAway/VRBO actually get even 1 booking a year. This is a topic the public should inquire about (especially homeowners being enticed to choose this site over AirBnB) Compare the performance of homes listed on AirBnB to ones listed on VRBO.

Continue reading
    Vrbo2019-04-16

Vrbo Response

April 30, 2019Employer Brand & Digital Media Specialist

Hi, Thanks for your review and for the level of detail you provided. You touched on several things. Each team plays an integral part in making HomeAway successful, including our PR and marketing teams, especially with their recent work with the Vrbo brand refresh. We're looking forward to sharing your feedback with senior leadership so we can continue to improve.

Continue reading
  1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Program Management in Austin, TX

I worked at Vrbo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Culture is wonderful, people are excellent. 401k matching, health benefits, and vacation time.

Cons

If layoffs had not happened I would probably still be there.

Vrbo2020-04-07
  2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, great perks, low stress, nice coworkers.

Cons

Travel industry can be a roller-coaster sometimes.

Vrbo2020-03-13

Discover more reviews about Vrbo.