W.W. Grainger - Do not fall for the picture HR paints | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

"Do not fall for the picture HR paints"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA
Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is it. They will position their profit share and upward mobility, but it is decades for that to happen. You will be sold on the time off, profit share, market position, and the ability to grow. The reality is when you join, get in line. On the bright side, their sales training is a good foundation for improving with another employer. Look at it a s a stepping stone psoition. The Grainger name does carry some positive weight.

Cons

Almost impossible to earn bonus or be promoted. Your goal changes every 6 months. There is a fear monger culture. Micromanaged. They will actually follow under-performers to appointments and discipline for tardiness, cancelation, etc. Their competitors, although much smaller, are much more mobile, cheaper, and contrary to what you're told by Grainger, have a better solution and service offering. You will be taught a sales presentation that must be done with every customer regardless of relevance. I never understood why they hired seasoned sales people because you are not allowed to think on your own. I would strongly suggest you analyze your current situation before making a move. To put this into better perspective, when I announced my resignation, I went in two weeks later to debrief and bring my management team up to speed on any open opportunities etc., it happened to fall right after our District Meeting. My entire team, at different times, came up to me and congratulated me. They said they were envious and are working their hardest to do the same.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop scaring them into submission and you will see the growth you desire.

Other Employee Reviews for W.W. Grainger

"Good company, needs to move into the 21st century"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Headquarters facility is beautiful, lots of amenities. Strong customer base and brand.
    Lots of opportunity for strong talent to make a difference.
    Great work-life balance.

Cons

Fear of decision-making at lower mgt levels - a lot of upward delegation of decision-making.
    Very silo'ed - not much collaboration between (and sometimes within) teams and departments.
    Inexperienced front line managers.
    Stratification of employees: exempt vs. non-exempt, manager vs. individual contributor. High stripe consciousness.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of your diverse workforce's ideas and suggestions, which are likely different from your own.
    Let go - don't be so controlling.
    Hire baby boomers on a part-time basis all across your organization (both exempt and non-exempt) - you need broader, experienced thinking and risk-taking in order to achieve!

"Great Company, a little slow moving for someone young in their career."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good retirement benefits, good work life balance. People are generally reasonable about workloads.

Cons

Slow moving, older population, compensation not always even across departments.

Advice to Management

You risk losing a lot of young talent by leaving the main offices in Lake Forest.