W.W. Grainger - Great Training for your next job! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

"Great Training for your next job!"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Collingswood, NJ
Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Collingswood, NJ

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training is fantastic. I've watched 15-20 people get jobs outside the company because Grainger's training is thought of hightly. You get a car and bene's from day one. Free gas and insurance. After a few days you can quickly figure out how to beat the system.

Cons

They pay is horrible. The company refuses to promote from with in. I worked with a guy who was with the company for nearly 10 years. They told him that he was "unqualified" to be an account manager (next level up). Unless your a chick it's next to impossible to get promoted. The MTS's hound you to death with constant e-mails and nonsense. The MTS's are glad-handed yesmen who really don't know how to sell and badger your customers when you have ride-a-longs (which are ALL the time). There are idiotic meetings that are held 50 miles from everyone..and they're every 2 weeks. The goals are impossible to hit unless your territory is in the middle of rural PA or some where like it.

Advice to Management

Pay the people that deserve it and promote from your own team. You're losing way TOO many qualified employees to the competition.

Other Employee Reviews for W.W. Grainger

"THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY CAREER"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profit Sharing but it takes 5-6 years to be fully vested

Cons

Unethical business practices - breaking contracts and changing quotas every month. Not paying Account Manager the commissions that were due to them. All 10 ten Account Managers I started with in 2011 have left the company to pursue other opportunities. The commission structure is awful - the worst in the industry.

Advice to Management

Try to hire Managers that have more experience than selling printers at Pitney-Bowes

"Do not fall for the picture HR paints"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is it. They will position their profit share and upward mobility, but it is decades for that to happen. You will be sold on the time off, profit share, market position, and the ability to grow. The reality is when you join, get in line. On the bright side, their sales training is a good foundation for improving with another employer. Look at it a s a stepping stone psoition. The Grainger name does carry some positive weight.

Cons

Almost impossible to earn bonus or be promoted. Your goal changes every 6 months. There is a fear monger culture. Micromanaged. They will actually follow under-performers to appointments and discipline for tardiness, cancelation, etc. Their competitors, although much smaller, are much more mobile, cheaper, and contrary to what you're told by Grainger, have a better solution and service offering. You will be taught a sales presentation that must be done with every customer regardless of relevance. I never understood why they hired seasoned sales people because you are not allowed to think on your own. I would strongly suggest you analyze your current situation before making a move. To put this into better perspective, when I announced my resignation, I went in two weeks later to debrief and bring my management team up to speed on any open opportunities etc., it happened to fall right after our District Meeting. My entire team, at different times, came up to me and congratulated me. They said they were envious and are working their hardest to do the same.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop scaring them into submission and you will see the growth you desire.