W.W. Grainger - It has been a wonderful experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

"It has been a wonderful experience."

Pros

The ability to move up if you are willing to learn the skills and have the education.

Cons

No education, you are not moving up very far from the bottom.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are the ones facing the money.

Other Employee Reviews for W.W. Grainger

"What is the definition of insanity? - Grainger's Internal Audit Department."

Current Employee - Internal Audit in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Audit in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The HQs in Lake Forest has a nice building. They're good at bringing talent in - but can't keep anyone past 2 years. (it's amazing anyone stays that long if they come into the company through internal audit). The parking lot is always salted.

Cons

The Internal Audit department is comprised layer upon layer of managers, directors, and executives with little to no audit experience. They have no idea what they’re doing, talking about, reviewing, etc. The IA Department has the worst reputation throughout Grainger, and it’s more than deserved. All the talent lies at the senior level – from which they draw a great deal out of Big 4 and other large public accounting firms. However, the seniors spend so much time “dumbing down” audit information to the managers and directors that there is little time for anything else and most seniors do not last more than 2 years.

This is a department that loves anything classified as no-value added: countless status update meetings, no decisions are ever made, project trackers, moving the same information from Excel to Word to our IA software (which no one knows how to use) – the list goes on forever.

In short, if you’d like to spend your career with a smile plastered on your face as your brain slowly turns to mush – this is the position for you.

Advice to Management

To the management in Internal Audit: please grow a spine. My manager couldn't make a decision if her life depended on it. I'm not interested in wasting my time and our business partners' time because my manager has no idea what's going on.

"Large company with a family business attitude"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong market presenece. Good base salary. Opportunities to grow business. Tools to help success. Great support systems. Rewarded for achieving goals.

Cons

Continous change of goals. Lack of direction for career path. Recent expasion of sales force as effected the customer base of each Account Manager.

Advice to Management

Less micro management and get back to sales