W.W. Grainger - Conservative, but a great place to call home while working for the industry leader. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

"Conservative, but a great place to call home while working for the industry leader."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Grainger is the industry leader with a solid balance sheet. They pay a fair wage, and reward both individual & team performance. This is a place that you can stay for a few years to get experience, or stick around and retire in 35 years. You control your own destiny.

Cons

Job can require long hours equating to a high stress enviromnment. Pay is only average, but top performers can do well. Branch, Sales and corporate sometimes have conflicting goals/objectives which makes partnerships sometimes a challenge.

Advice to Management

Leverage cash on hand to weather the economic storm, leave the team in place to capitalize on the current situation to emerge from the downturn stronger, and better positioned to grow the business with our customer base. Set realistic and attainable sales goals so that your sales force will not look elsewhere and risk losing your best talent that you will need in the future.

Other Employee Reviews for W.W. Grainger

1. "Great company and great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

Get to work with friendly people, low stress, reasonable hours, and a beautiful location. Cafeteria is very, nice. Good profit sharing.

Cons

Not many cons really. It is a nice place to work and has many different areas to explore your interests and skills.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees well and they will work hard for you. Sometimes poor performers are not shown the door.

2. "The Grunt who did it all."

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ceres, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Ceres, CA

Pros

I started out as a Warehouse Associate PT, starting at pretty good hourly wage for the area. The Branch Manager that hired me was probably the best manager I ever had, but he retired in my 2nd year in...too bad. I got promoted to a Customer Service Counter Associate, but I still felt like I was doing warehouse duties and stuck behind the showroom. I DID IT ALL...PHONES, COUNTER, WAREHOUSE, IMR, and OSS duties with the branch Account Managers. You get the opportunity to grow with the new duties learned in a short period of time. If you are like me, who can basically learn every position in the Branch, you will prosper....but it all depends on who you know.

Cons

I DID IT ALL, but was not promoted or compensated for it. I was told many times by management that I was invaluable to that particular Grainger branch. Like I said, it really depends on who you know. The 2nd branch manager I had didn't suit the particular branch for that area. We were a high volume branch with customer retention, but the BM seemed to push for more sales instead of customer satisfaction, not understanding that the frequent customers were the one who were bringing in the big bucks for the branch.

Advice to Management

Know what each individual employee can do for that particular branch. Enforce Grainger's new "LEAN" process better. Understand that employee and customer retention is foremost the best aspect of keeping the branch in the "green".