W.W. Grainger - READ THIS! - WORK FOR BASE - NO COMMISSIONS! HIGH TURNOVER | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

"READ THIS! - WORK FOR BASE - NO COMMISSIONS! HIGH TURNOVER"

Current Employee - Account Manager
Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthy financially in the stock market. Largest MRO company in the industry. Good benefits.

Cons

READERS BEWARE! I have read some of these reviews with high marks and I can tell you that this is not the case. Perhaps these are reviews from the entry level sales representatives who make very low salaries but are easily excited about getting an iPhone, a laptop and a company vehicle. Give them 12 months and they realize they are tired of being on a Top Ramen budget. There is an EXTREMELY high turnover rate. The common conversation amongst the ranks revolves around interviewing elsewhere or who is hiring. Sales goals are unrealistic and continue to increase every 6 months by double digits and we are not talking in the teens but much higher. Average tenure of a sales manager is 12 - 18 months. Commissions are little to none. A high pressure approach is used to push you to try to make these unrealistic numbers but you wont and with it you make no commission. To top it off, like some reviews have mentioned on this site, Grainger has an online company who sells MUCH CHEAPER than what your allowed to or forces you to discount and once again your business goes to this online store or your commission is blown! There are just too many ways you as a sales person will be blocked from being successful here. Senior Management doesn't want to hear these challenges and are only interested on how you will achieve the impossible and how Wall Street and their stakeholders relish in the profits.

Advice to Management

This company was a great company to work for. I have heard this from departing employees who spent years working here. But the company no longer does the right thing when it comes to paying commissions or setting goals for people. All we ask is that you do the right thing and make us proud of working here again and proud to refer someone to work here. At this time the message from you is that of not caring to hear our challenges and fixing a broken and unfair system.

Other Employee Reviews for W.W. Grainger

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Outbound Supervisor
    Former Employee - Outbound Supervisor

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a member of the leadership team you are given the control to over your area. The retirement that is offered is really good.

Cons

The pay sometimes did not match what was required.

Advice to Management

Include all levels of leadership more often.

"Fantastic people make a fantastic company."

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Terrific leadership. Wonderful benefits. Limitless resources. Team culture.

Cons

Seem to be lacking a strategy to compete with local/regional suppliers who are offering the same products/services at a considerably lower price.

Advice to Management

How can we be more effective in capturing share of wallet at the small/mid-sized businesses where price is the overwhelming concern and the value-ads are rarely/never considered.