WE Communications - Lots of opportunity, lots of obstacles. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for WE Communications

"Lots of opportunity, lots of obstacles."

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR

Pros

You have exposure to serious PR with one of the most demanding clients in the world. Waggener has terrific capabilities on the cutting edge (digital, SEO, etc) and if you find the right manager and team, your possibilities can be really unlimited.

Cons

Silos, and a bad manager or a difficult client can stymie your opportunity for growth. Hard work is not as rewarded/recognized as highly visible work - so your team really dictates your growth potential. Despite alot of talk around collaboration, you'll be pressed to find it. I can't believe how difficult it is to find information that we should all be sharing.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to recognize people beyond their manager, who may not have time.

Other Employee Reviews for WE Communications

1. "A wonderful jumping-off point and learning opportunity for junior level employees"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator

Pros

As a junior-level employee Waggener Edstrom is a great place to begin a career and gain experience and knowledge under some of the brightest minds in PR. The growth and learning opportunities were easily accessible and encouraged and the feedback I received from higher-ups while I was there have helped shape me into the better PR professional that I am today.

Cons

One of the strongest downsides of working at WE is the amount of red tape and process that everything requires. But, of course, that is something to be expected in such a large organization with offices all over the world.

Advice to Management

I think the senior management at WE is doing a great job leading the company. I'm sure they're already working at this 110%, but I would strongly encourage trying to win the business of more diverse clients. I realize that Microsoft is the bread and butter of the organization, but there is so much more to the agency than what they're doing with Microsoft and honestly, I'm not confident in Microsoft's ability to stay relevant in the tech industry.

"If you are a fan of the mid-90s, this is the place for you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

If you want to learn how to do PR for Microsoft, but not work there, this is the place to be. They have grown through random acquisition and management doesn't know anything beyond tech PR.

Cons

They were at the top of their game in the mid-90s, but since the arrival of the Internet they have scrambled to catch up.

HIGHLY political company that does not support a work life balance. Expect to be checking your email from 8 pm and 10 pm each weeknight or get dinged in your review.

Ironically, run by an "old girls club."

Advice to Management

Get more involved in the business of ALL your clients, not just the one with multi-million dollar budgets.