WESCO International - Decent place to work but not one of the best. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for WESCO International

"Decent place to work but not one of the best."

I have been working at WESCO International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company culture is to leave at 5 every day which is fairly unusual for large companies. I assume this is because the company used to be mostly focused on branches which had no reason to stay late. Pay and benefits are decent. Nobody ever thinks they are paid enough but I have no complaints. And there is nobody cracking the whip like I have experienced at previous jobs. In general, the atmosphere is laid back as long as you're getting your work done. As one of the few local Fortune 500 companies, WESCO looks good on your resume.

Cons

In the list of employee attributes (hard working, resourceful, etc.), length of service is #1 by a mile. They will take a long-time mediocre employee over a newly hired superstar every day of the week. This obviously has caused retention issues since superstars are used to being rewarded and know they are in demand at other companies. 2% annual raises aren't helping retention but it's not like other companies are throwing around 10% raises either. While I think the many acquisitions have helped keep us afloat financially, we do a poor job of integrating them into the company. Managers are quick to throw each other under the bus which I think points to poor senior management.

Advice to Management

I would suggest hiring more management from outside because things will never get better the way they are currently. There do seem to be some attempts by HR to change the culture and I've heard managers discuss retention being a focus but there are just too many long-timers in charge.

Other Employee Reviews for WESCO International

"Great company"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at WESCO International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong outlook, focused on growth, excellent career advancement opportunities, freedom to manage yourself, training opportunities are great, top down push for a lean culture.

Cons

Weak spots in mid-level management that allows employees to lose focus and adopt an "it's not my job attitude". When an employee leaves, the company also tends to increase workload of remaining employees instead of providing a replacement even when they should.

"it was good for many years but then it changed....."

I worked at WESCO International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the work I did and my fellow co-workers.

Cons

Branch management "played favorites" and if you weren't one of the pets your life was made hell. Written up multiple times for bogus reasons or things that others also did but didn't get in trouble for.
    Too much work for one person! I had the job that 3 others used to do and was not compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

If a branch is losing major business and alliance contracts, consider looking at the management!