WNYC Radio - Great Location, Building and People. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for WNYC Radio

"Great Location, Building and People."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Assuming your not in management it is a union job. Nice people, nice environment, and an ability to grow in the company..

Cons

Just like any job, some bosses are better than others, and some people are more qualified for their jobs than others.

Other Employee Reviews for WNYC Radio

1. "Fall Intern at WNYC"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at WNYC Radio as an intern

Pros

I got to work with wonderful, smart people in a dynamic environment. Everyone was very encouraging, helping me to learn the ropes and gain new skills. They were quick to give me new tasks when they realized that I could take them on, and gave me a real feeling of confidence in my abilities. There were special meetings for interns to learn more about WNYC and get more guidance for our careers, which I took advantage of and enjoyed.

Cons

Pay isn't great. I was able to deal with it since I was still in school, but it could certainly be a barrier for others.

"The Grass is Always Greener"

I worked at WNYC Radio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of people are doing really incredible work here, including the newsroom. For a lot of the team, working at a non-profit media org like WNYC is their dream come true.

Cons

Unfortunately, WNYC doesn't feel like a non-profit. It's incredibly corporate in the worst ways, which becomes apparent after a few months working here. There's a lot of machiavellian scheming and posturing among various teams and leaders.

The bureaucracy is crippling, and seems completely driven by fear and insecurity. Leadership constantly underestimates staff and overestimates the competition, trusting (and spending on) outside consultants to bring WNYC up to speed....but the resulting report often merely illustrates that the consultant never understood the landscape in the first place, and recommendations are rarely implemented.

Lately WNYC has also been overcome with paranoia that talented staff are being poached, but this says a lot more about WNYC than it does the competition.

Advice to Management

Implement a major culture shift - this needs to start at the top. Understand that happy/fulfilled employees don't leave.