Waffle House - Never thought of leaving until... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Waffle House

"Never thought of leaving until..."

I worked at Waffle House full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can be a great job under the right up-line management team. The pay and benefits are competitive. WH can give you a sense of feeling like a part of something.

Cons

The demands are unrealistic unless you are single without children, not dating, and no current living relatives. Sometimes the up-line management is ridiculous. They have no idea how to do their job. People get promoted because of degrees, not due to how well they manage a unit. Some management think they are in the Army and cuss and talk to people defrading, and believe this to be okay. It is unprofessional and humiliating, yet it happens on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

I quit trying to give advice after many years of attempts.

Other Employee Reviews for Waffle House

"Fired after 16 years,for first time calling in because of sickness(food poisioning). had been unit manager for ten yrs"

Former Employee - Unit Manager
    Former Employee - Unit Manager

I worked at Waffle House full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible hours/ air condtioned kitchen / grill operator; customer interaction/ flexible schedule, generally promote from within, I have the pro s memorized we re told to give the "benifits" in the interview or stop n hires.

Cons

as a regular employee with a good manager you re fine. as a manager you give up your life. You are required to work atleast 52hrs a week(.one ofmy last weeksended with 72 hrs)drawer change @9 pm two nights a week(must be weekend)required to be present from12pm to 2am twice/month..you are responsible for all monies inside the unit even on off daysif youre the senior person between you & your asst.you must make goals that are set extremely low(change at anytime)or you re working for pennies.you re not allowed to advertise at all to help mk these..altho smart managers can be creative:)my advice.good place to work as a regular employee..do not take promotions offered..stay out of management.Hmm also dont call in..even if you can t walk/stand w/out pukeing.. worked for a franchise not corp. so maybe better there i don t know.

Advice to Management

Respect good managers. these people work hard for your company, give their lives up, and are generally the reason you make your money.stop hideing behind low paid salaries and bonusing higher for your own financial gain. Good Food Fast In A Warm Friendly Environment.I earned respect from my employees,by doing the work I would later ask themto do. ie its ok to sos the floor corners becz even mymanager will do it... i was fired from a job i knew like the back of my hand,because my dm had to run my store for a day,its not right. i had no choice..and did everything i could to get one of my management personel to cover for me.

"The definition of stress. Long term promises of wealth, if you can make it that long..."

Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Waffle House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to build your own team, so it is possible to enjoy who you are working with and create a fun environment. Opportunities to move up quickly are available if u put in the work. Stock program is designed to make managers rich one day (20-30 years) but I'm not sure how anyone could stick it out that long.

Cons

This could be a novel, but I'll hit the main points. Overworked (50-80 hours a week) and underpayed. You are guaranteed 35k ish as a manager trainee, but that's assuming u meet the minimum 55 hour per week requirement. Once u become a store manager, u can make between 30-50k depending on bonuses. This seems good on the surface because in the interview they make it seem like u control ur salary. This is a complete lie. You can work harder than any other manager and still miss out on bonuses because of the volume or location of your store. A lot of the bonuses are luck, and it can take years to get to the point in a unit where u r hitting them consistently. If you are looking to be promoted than u wont achieve this success in any unit. Many unit managers live paycheck to paycheck because the salary isn't guaranteed. There are occasionally good periods, but mostly you are paid nothing, especially if you participate in the stock and benefits programs.

You deal with people with elementary level education. This is a glorified babysitting job. Go eat at a Waffle House in downtown atlanta and pay attention to how the employees act. Unless you work there and deal with all the problems with them for a long period of time, they won't respect you. You will spend hours and hours every week trying to find people to cover shifts because they won't show up to work. Sadly, you have to staff your restaurant with people who will show up and you can't always fire people for messing up because you need them to cover shifts so you don't end up working them yourself.

You have no life. You work 6 days on and get 2 random off days. This could be okay for people with no friends or family but if u want a social life and work/life balance than this isn't for you. You might get a weekend off and a chance to feel normal once every few months, but it is rare. You work all holidays, so if u have any family traditions, kiss them goodbye. Waffle House is your family, and if you aren't okay with that then don't work here. In addition, on the days you work, you are never really off. The restaurants don't close so you will receive phone calls all afternoon, evening, and night on the days you work thanks to how incompetent your employees are. If your lucky u can fix the problem on the phone but usually u will have to go back in. U also have to go back from 8-10 on weekends and the night before your off days to do shift change. This really adds stress and destroys any chance of making plans with friends on these nights.

You are surrounded by horribly unhealthy food. It's hard not to eat bad and destroy ur body when
    u are around this stuff all the time. Most managers are overweight and look miserable. If you take this job, make sure you exercise and eat right. Have fun trying to find time to work out with this work schedule.

Advice to Management

Waffle House culture isn't changing any time soon, my only advice is to raise the salary of the managers (more guaranteed money). The rest is self explanatory.