Walgreens - Okay for a Job, Not a Career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"Okay for a Job, Not a Career"

Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Frankfort, IL
Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Frankfort, IL

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay: Minimum wage of course, depending on position.

Benefits: Basic health and Dental, and later on eligible for profit sharing program.

Vacation days: Every year at Walgreens is another week of paid vacation days. One year equals 1 week, Two years equals 2 weeks, etc. And even if you quit before using them all they will bank all of them for you.

Cons

No room for growth or promotion: The company generally doesn't promote to management positions unless you have a degree, even though the management positions don't pay much. There is also no room for promotion to Corporate. You have to have connections or they really have to like you to truly move up to Corporate or a higher position then a Photo Specialist.

Bad Hours: They flip flop your hours. One wee it will be 40 hours, where another it will be 20, even if you are full time. So if you are looking for full time hours, not the job for you.

Work weekends and Holidays: You usually have to work every weekend, all weekend, all of the time. Rarely do you get time off, and when you do get approval, you lose out on pay unless you have vacation days to use. Usually have to work all holidays, depending on the scheduling manager. Open all of the time.

Strict: Very harsh on being at work. If there's a blizzard and you can't make it, doesn't matter, you had better show up.

Funeral Time: Same goes for funerals. If a loved one is in the hospital or has died, you are only allowed time off if it is an immediate family member, cousins and friends don't count. You also don't get paid for the time you took off for said funeral.

Typical Retail Treatment: No respect shown by customers and few managers.

Different Company Direction: In the next 3 years Walgreens is doing some changes to "save money". This means many Assistant Managers will lose their jobs and have to reapply for basically the same position with lesser pay. Much more is being expected out of the cashiers and Photo Specialists as well. Due to high competition from other stores like CVS, Walmart, etc, sales are pushed to be higher. You are literally required to "try" and sell multiple things at the register. If you don't meet a certain quota, for, let's say candy bars sold, you are threatened with termination.

Advice to Management

Pay better, follow schedule agreements, more hours and more room for promotion. Some people are eager to move up, give them a chance. Cut the lesser employees a break as well, stop expecting so much out of them, because you don't pay them enough to do so.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

1. "Profitable Company that does not profit employees"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technically very up-to-date and challenges one to stay current and operate at peak performance. The atmosphere among the workers is positive, and encouraging. There is lots of mutual respect and appreciation.

Cons

Management treats the workers very badly. They pay lip service to being grateful for the hard work of the staff, but they still cut staff in favor of out-sourcing and laying off employees. Some of the laid-off employees can apply to get their jobs back, but at a lower salary. Management does not believe in or support a collaborative atmosphere and they don't clearly communicate any overarching directions.

2. "Not so photo specialist"

Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Walgreens part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job was easy pay was okay. Store manager was nice and easy to talk to.

Cons

It was in a bad neighborhood and some of the customers were questionable. I had several people get really mad at me for checking their ID for tobacco products because no one else cards them why should I.

Management would get annoyed with me for calling them up for help during my FIRST week. I have not worked there I don't just start working someplace and magically know how to do everything.

I was only in the photo department (what they hired me for) 4 times in 2 months.

They also told me in the interview that they go by seniority. If you've been there longer you will your days requested off over someone else, you will get the days off of the week you want and the shifts you want.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees fair. Don't go by seniority, if some one is doing a better job then someone who has been there longer they should be getting the short end of the stick. And TRAIN your employees and listen and help them if they need help.