Walgreens - Walgreens Associates | Glassdoor

"Walgreens Associates"

Current Employee - Photo Specialist/Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Photo Specialist/Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is room for advancement and plenty to learn about retail. The company is willing to provide a pathway to advancement to just about anyone willing to work for it. The pay gets better with advancement; in fact, the higher positions pay a rate that is fair for the work required.

Cons

The starting pay is terrible - at or very near minimum wage and unless you only work the register - the work is demanding enough to justify a higher rate of pay. The company does just about everything to avoid ever paying any OT and almost all staff are PT employees because the company wants to avoid paying FT benefits. Scheduling is horrific. Employees don't have scheduled/predictable schedules or days off. Employees are required to work different shifts and may often be required to do 8 hour turn-around shifts. It is very difficult to plan for life outside of work.

Advice to Management

In exchange for the low pay and PT hours it would be nice to at least offer predictable days off if not set schedules (with the understanding that they might change based upon need but that every effort will be made to keep a person working a predetermined set of hours or have the same days off every week where possible).

The company often exports/imports management staff out/in of communities that they may or may not be good fits for and this causes community tension. The company should make a greater effort to match managers with community stores that are good fits for them personally.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

"Wrong Direction"

Current Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They pay you and they have AC.

Cons

Required to work Christmas eve or Christmas day, yet they cut out Christmas gift cards out 5 years ago. They give you a 25% off day instead. Hours are not friendly, and there is no benefit for job loyalty. ALL benefits have gotten worse with each passing year. They have cut hours requiring you to do more work with less help in the pharmacy, to save money. Yet just spend 6.7 BILLION dollars buying an overseas company. When i was hired with this company it was one of the best company's to work for. Its a far cry from that now.

Advice to Management

Take better care of those who put money in your pocket!

2. "Not the best place to work..."

Current Employee - Photo Technician in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Photo Technician in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, mostly busy work (if you work in photo or on the floor) which makes the time go by pretty fast, most of my coworkers are hardworking, store is clean

Cons

- Not enough employees scheduled for truck days- for example, today the truck was almost 300 pieces and only one other person and myself worked on it.
    -Manager does not interact with either the employees nor the customers
    -No room whatsoever for advancement; months ago I crosstrained in the pharmacy hoping to get a job, pharmacist never hired me even though I was told I would be, but he hired outsiders- I only get called to the pharmacy when convenient for them.
    -Suggestive selling- must sell 50 units per shift
    -Customers are mostly pretty nasty to you especially if you are a cashier
    -Photo machine always has problems, customers never understanding about it
    -Hours are never consistent
    -If you run photo, you pretty much manage the whole store, especially if you have lazy coworkers
    - Employees are definitely not treated fairly...Coworker always showed up 30 min to an hour late all the time--never got a warning or fired
    -Even if you are extremely sick and call out managers aren't understanding and still expect you to be there
    -Previous manager scheduled me 9-10 hours 5 days a week, knowing that I attended school
    -Pretty much all managers just assume that this is your career and not just a job you have til you get one. They ask for too much, if something is there fault you have to suffer for it

Advice to Management

You should really keep up with the management of our stores. I feel like I have worked with some pretty negligent, very disorganized managers.