Walgreens - Tiring | Glassdoor

"Tiring"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Long Beach, NY
Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Long Beach, NY

I worked at Walgreens part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working isn't hard, just restocking, organizing, and cashier work. Oh, and helping customers around the store. You do get a wok out if you work the floor.

Cons

Grumpy customers and Confusing coupon descriptions and regulations.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

1. "An ordeal of insanity."

Current Employee - Service Clerk in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Service Clerk in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good points of working for Walgreens include: the discount that is the same for both managers and those who work, the paycheck, occasionally good coworkers and sometimes teamwork for IC3s (backup cashiering) and the previous shift sometimes putting away their own reshops (the items customers bring to the register and then decide they don't want to buy, like eggs and ice cream, after they find out that they need the Balance Rewards Card for the sales price listed on the shelf.)

Cons

I find it kind of annoying that on the back of my name tag it has the motto of "My mission is Well" which is both improper usage of the word "well", meaning the healthiness of my customers, while most of the sales I have to make are sales of tobacco - especially since both my mother and father died due to emphysema and lung cancer.

More particularly to my store, there is a problem of nepotism. The soon-to-be assistant manager is the common-law-sister-in-law of one of the shift leads, he being the father of some of her nephews and nieces, and she having selected a stepdaughter for employment. Now, they aren't bad workers, but in a city of hundreds of thousands with a high unemployment rate it is quite far fetched to believe that there was nobody else qualified to be hired. Philosophically I have nothing against nepotism myself, but it still exists there as an example of selective adherence to corporate policy and favoritism in action.

The management also is unwilling to work with my scheduling constraints and whenever I ask for, even, a truncation of time for my ending point with the hours just taken away so as to make certain I do not interfere with my wife's ability to get to her places of employment, they tell me in no uncertain terms that they'll just replace me if I'm unwilling to be flexible.

Additionally, there was a shooting within visual range of the external cameras a week ago and the store is a primary target of shoplifters. I ask if I can wear body armor, but they don't want it to be apparent that I'm wearing any which makes the kinds I can wear out of my price range.

The shift lead I work with says he's only had one robbery attempt in which a guy tried to jump over the counter with a hunting knife, but he says that I'm paranoid and shouldn't worry so much because he was able to push him back over the counter and nothing went wrong then in that very singular circumstance.

Moreover, regarding the shoplifting, I heard from management that they have over $100,000 of loss per year, but are uncaring about it since they make so much more above and beyond their loss. According to the general manager, he has no way of doing anything about it since the regional manager sets the number of hours they can give to employees and can't afford to have it completely covered at all times. During the overnight, when the cashier is responsible alone for the appearance and operation of the store and the shift lead restocks the fridge, they can't have anyone else working on the sales floor to discourage theft or other crimes from occurring, so while the cashier is trapped by other customers at the register, yet more go about looting the rest of the store and nothing is able to be done due to the dictates of middle management.

Also, having been asked by a customer how I was doing at one time, I responded that I felt tired, and then immediately got written up because I'm only supposed to be positive and being tired isn't positive...

This corporation could be better, but under its current leadership, at least with my store as an example, it's not going to be anything but a waste of space and electricity. I could list far more faults than what I have, but in one sense I find Walgreen's to be a less desirable company to work for than McDonald's. Actually, if McDonald's were to pay a few more cents per hour, they would be superior to Walgreen's.

Advice to Management

Try to do better or replace yourselves. Treat those at the bottom of the pyramid with more respect rather than like robots, and please, so long as you're going to pay so very little, be flexible with the schedule rather than treat it like it's written in stone - especially when I've seen exceptions made for family members you've hired.

"It ONCE was a great company to work for.................not anymore"

Former Employee - Service Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Walgreens part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Store managers are great...........trusting you to do your job, give constructive criticism when needed.
    Good for a part- time job. Employee discount is OK, better when used in conjunction with a sale.

Cons

This company keeps taking away benefits (and positions) from their employees...........no more Christmas gift................vacation time is changing and NOT to the employee's benefit.........some service clerk positions are being eliminated.

Advice to Management

Be upfront and honest with your employees. Stop taking benefits away because THAT does not motivate your employees to do a good job!!!!!! Figure out WHAT kind of company you want to be and stick with the plan, instead of changing everything every few years.