Walgreens - i had a great time at Walgreen | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"i had a great time at Walgreen"

Pros

what was good was that everybody treated every one respectfully. we also helped one another in chase we got behind are schedule.

Cons

the pay wasn't that good for the work we did and the hours were very long, and nights were even worse.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

1. "Too much expected, too little given back"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent amount of vacation days, average to fair health coverage, free flu shots for employees, 15% discount, 20% discount on store brand items

Cons

expects too much with too little staff, focuses more on suggestive selling than finding out what customers actually need or want and we get in trouble for not selling enough of "the item of the month", promotions are based less on competence and more on politics, not enough compensation for the amount of work expected, open on holidays and you HAVE to work them, cutting hours everywhere to pay for the sheer number of companies they keep buying

Advice to Management

Stop buying new companies, stop buying new locations, and give the stores that you have more hours and more people so they can work better. If you need to spend on anything, spend on upgrading our woefully out of date equipment. You have enough stores. Work on making the stores you have better.

2. "Little value for employees; unreasonable expectations"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity for college students to make decent money. Some good store managers. Probably wouldn't be a bad company to work for if you work in a slow, low volume store.

Cons

A lot of politics within both district & inter-store management. Would have to drop everything on retail side to assist understaffed & under-trained pharmacy dept. & later stay extra hours to finish assignments or face disciplinary action; however, I still faced disciplinary action for overtime. I was one of the hardest working MGT's in the district & that's the only reason I wasn't fired. Pharmacy staff is generally poorly trained & raise many customer service problems MGT's have to deal with. Corporate management punishes stores that don't meet quotas or customer service statistics by cutting employee hours (mostly pharmacy tech hours), which obviously only makes service & performance even worse. Favoritism is a huge problem; many very good employees have been denied promotions & poor/lazy ones were promoted. Many bad/lazy/unethical employees have not been disciplined due to politics or favoritism.

Advice to Management

It would be very enlightening if each district manager worked for a day as an MGT during their busiest store's rush hour. The real problems would be obvious & they would learn to value management & employees that are capable of running those stores.