Walgreens - Inviting, and a wonderful learning experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"Inviting, and a wonderful learning experience."

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Mayfield, KY
Current Employee - Shift Lead in Mayfield, KY

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They seem to hire the best they can find, and their training is extensive and second to none I've seen.

Cons

The hours can be bad if you don't do swing shifts well, but

Advice to Management

Provide more money to update the training, it's good but dated.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

1. "Poor Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be hourly not anymore
    Pretty good benefits

Cons

Poor Store Managers
    Your Store Manager holds the key to any advancement and your raises. Get on their good side and hope you don't get transferred because you can get transferred a week before your yearly review and the new manager will do your YEARLY review.
    If you have a salaried position plan on living at your store. They prefer quantity over quality of work,

Advice to Management

Train the Store managers on how to manage. The store managers know Walgreens inside and out but know little about treating employees.

2. "A place for a well-rounded start"

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Oxford, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Oxford, PA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time

Pros

Retail is never boring. Decent vacation and sick time, getting ready to change over to PTO in 2014. Lots of cross training. If you are interested in moving up, the opportunities are there with cross training. But they won't let you do the next task without mastering the first.

Cons

The company will build you up with false promises. I was hired in may 2011as a shift lead and told i would be promoted to MGT within 2 yrs, all the current spots got filled. January 2012 they announced they will be eliminating the MGT position in 2014.
    Hope you like working in pharmacy, because if they keep 'reallocating the budget' the pharmacy won't have enough people working at a time. And no you don't need to be a registered pharmacy tech to count pills and type scripts.
    Many managers like to have controlling power over you, makes them feel special, and will know things about you long before they tell you, like if you're transferred.

Advice to Management

I know and understand that there are things that corporate doesn't want shared right away, but if it's at store level that the withholding is happening, it makes your employees feel undervalued and unimportant. I think there should be stricter promoting. I have met several people in top management positions who don't know how to do their jobs let alone mine. Didn't you have to successfully know how to do mine before you got yo yours?