Walgreens - The Ohio Experience | Glassdoor

"The Ohio Experience"

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most efficient workflow in retail pharmacy when adequately staffed; endorsing many key pharmacist initiatives in MTM, screening for disease, and consultations. Training time given and most staff trained & competent with customer focus.

Cons

High investor-driven philosophy leading to short-term budgetary decisions that caused layoffs & lost or inconvenienced Rx customers (i.e. loss of Express Scripts in Jan 2012 only to have it back in Sept).
Decisions not targeted to specific markets. Possible favoritism in store assignments.

Advice to Management

New initiatives were secondary to maintaining & increasing the patient base in competitive markets as in Ohio. While a difficult decision, too many were adversely affected by layoffs for what was less than a year of a suspended insurance contract.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

1. "Walgreen's CEO driving company into the ground."

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely hard-working and knowledgeable staff. Great focus on diversity and inclusion of all types of employees.

Cons

Everything else about the company... New hire pharmacy tech pay has been reduced by $1.00 an hour and even if you get promoted to Senior Tech, it's now $2.00 an hour less than it was a few months ago. I work full-time, and bust my ass every day, and for what? Less than $24,000/yr, while our CEO literally makes 500 times my wage!!! Yes, that's right, do the math yourself. Wasson makes $12,000,000.00 a year. All while the rest of us have to deal with new wage caps that have been dramatically reduced, hours continually being cut (even when the number of prescriptions filled are increasing (as are profits) and healthcare costs are through the roof. I've been there less than a year, but what I've heard from just MANY staff members is that it didn't used to be this bad. In fact, they used to like working there. Now, I don't know of a single person in our high-volume store who is NOT looking for a new job... from the Store Manager, Pharmacy Manager and the other pharmacists, Assistant Managers, and ESPECIALLY the Techs and sales floor staff. It has become abundantly clear to me that Senior Management cares WAY more about profit margins and stockholders than they do about the hard working store level staff. It's very demoralizing. I can't even afford our "benefits" package, and our cash price for prescriptions is so high that I have to go to the pharmacy across the street to fill my own prescriptions. That's embarrassing to me. I don't understand why the company is doing this to such hard working staff, especially me coworkers that have been their for many years. But it's no secret that everyone's unhappy. In fact, our Store Manager even joked to me that it's the "Walgreens Way: keep you beat down and so depressed about your job that by the time you get home you won't even have the energy to begin to look for a new job". And don't even think about taking a break or lunch at Walgreens. When you're hired, you're told you'll get one 15 minute paid break and a 30 minute un-paid lunch. Since I've been there, I've averaged one lunch break every 2 to 3 weeks, and breaks are nothing more than running to grab energy drinks and snacks from within the general part of the store and coming back to consume them while working (if you're lucky). At least 1-2 days a week I don't even get to do that, because there is so much work to be done. I can't just walk out and take a break when there is a huge line at the drive-thru, customers waiting in the lobby, and an ever increasing number of prescriptions to be typed and filled, that just wouldn't be fair to my coworkers or our patients. I'm not trying to rant or be overly dramatic. This is the reality of Walgreens, and if i wasn't so scared of speaking up to upper management and getting fired for it, I'd tell you to ask my coworkers (who could confirm everything I've stated here). But I'm sure there are plenty of other people on this and other websites who can confirm that THIS is the "Walgreens Way".

Advice to Management

Spend a day in our shoes, living on our wages, and working in such an incredibly stressful and depressing environment and maybe you could learn a thing or two...

"Bad Management"

Pros

Its a big company, hopefully with the right team and management you can enjoy your time at Walgreens

Cons

Bad Management, I felt like they only cared about the money. Not the employees or the customers.
    There was no opportunity seen to advance.

Advice to Management

Make sure your cashiers feel like they matter to the company, not just the little work "ants"