Walgreens - I like the job but it is only as good as the management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"I like the job but it is only as good as the management"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Moberly, MO
Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Moberly, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed many customers who have touched my life.

Cons

Certain employees who call in and the other employees have to double up and get 2 jobs done with the salary of one job

Advice to Management

Have a standard operating procedure manual (SOP).

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

"I didn't get this job to sale candy bars!!!!"

Pros

Training is good,discount is okay, can be a family atmosphere

Cons

Pay started at $7.50. The main issue is you need to suggestive sale certain candy or cosmetics and
    the manager hounds you about it all the time. You have to ask each customer and they get tired and angry about the sales pitch each time they come in.

Advice to Management

Lighten up on the suggestive sale

2. "Your experience will depend on your Store Manager!"

Former Employee - MGT in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - MGT in San Jose, CA

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I found that the starting pay of $17 for an MGT/Assistant Manager was very competitive in similar retail positions.

I had a better experience learning about the business at a lower volume store. I find that lower volume stores allow for the store manager to work with the assistant manager in terms of developing and coaching.

In terms of benefits, the only thing worth mentioning is the Profit Sharing Program. It used to be GREAT, but now it's only OK.

Cons

At most stores, the MGT is simply a glorified stockboy (or girl) with keys. MGTs and Shiftleaders (the lower paying position that has replaced the MGT) are expected to be the hardest working employees in the store and are almost always the scapegoat for any situation.

The job is also very physical. At least two days of the week are devoted to doing "warehouse". The process includes unloading inventory from a truck and totes (which can weigh up to 40lbs each) and stocking the shelves and organizing the items into your "bay".

As a member of store leadership, you would have no set schedule at all. Expect to work most weekends and holidays with various shifts. If you end up at a 24 Hour store, then good luck. Walgreens doesn't really care too much about work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in your management!