Walgreens - Great environment, benefits are abysmal. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"Great environment, benefits are abysmal."

Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Tech in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Tech in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team members are awesome, retail always depends on the manager you have and I have a great one.

Cons

Medical Benefits are really lacking. Pay a little over $750 dollars per month for benefits and still have a 20% coinsurance AFTER a $2500 deductible, and that's the BEST plan they offer.

Advice to Management

Due to family medical necessities, opting out of medical is not an option, but its ridiculous that I pay over $750 dollars per month for benefits that aren't really a benefit. Family member goes to hospital and AFTER the insurance my bill is STILL over $700 dollars.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

1. "Senior Beauty Advisor"

Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job, with growth

Cons

Insurance is expensive...little or no appreciation from superiors

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more

"Use to be great to work for but not anymore."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I first started working for Walgreens it was a great company to work for. Assistant Manager's were guaranteed 44 hours a week, and overtime was abundant if you wanted it, and volunteered for it. It was possible for assistant managers to make more than store manager if they worked overtime. The company wasn't skimpy on payroll, and the departments were always adequately staffed to get the job done. They even gave you up to a 4 to 1 match on your profit sharing, and excellent medical benefits. Fast forward to today, where the Walgreen family no longer runs the company: Assistant managers were busted down to 40 hours, with no chances of overtime at all. Now with the management restructuring Assistant Managers are being phased out/demoted to shift leads to save money. They use to make around $16 to $19 an hour, once forced down to shift lead they'll be making $11.50. I've watched the profit sharing match go from $4 to $1 to $1 to $1, and the health benefits are horrible too. We use to be able to select from a variety of HMO's along with the company plans, now we just have the company plans. Payroll is constantly tight, and other than the front register, photo and cosmetics aren't staffed the entire day. If we have an employee call out, overtime is never authorized to cover a shift. This would be understandable if our cashiers were making as much as pharmacists, but they're making $8 an hour if that. The company now runs on the cheap and it shows. Our cashiers are forced to memorize and say countless company salutations while engaging customers. They are expected to greet every customer when they walk through the door, which in itself is a very good practice, but they are also forced to push the item of the month, usually a candy bar, sell all our pharmacy services, promote our balance rewards program, promote whatever charity we're supporting at the time, ask the customer if they found everything before wrapping it up with "Thank you and Be Well." If the cashiers don't squeeze in all the salutations consistently, it's the managements job to do a coaching card to get them up to the "new" standard or get rid of them. Now they are rolling out the Extraordinary Customer Care program, where the goal is to get all 9's (highest achievable score) on our customer receipts survey's. Walgreens wants to be the standard bearer in great customer service. Once again this is a very admirable goal, but they want expect every employee go above and beyond while cutting payroll, and getting a growing list of tasks done. With the management restructuring, Assistant Store Managers (ASM's), formerly known as Executive Assistant Managers (EXA's) are expected to take over 90% of the responsibilities the Store Manager use to have, as well as the old EXA roll. A 45 to 55 hour work week use to normal, now is closer closer to 60 to 70 hours. Over the last 3 years or so Walgreens added another layer of management between the Store Manager and District Manager called a Community Leader. The Community Leader is a senior or high performing Store Manager who usually has 5 or 6 stores under them. This is purely speculation on my part, but the way all the management restructuring has unfolded so far, I can see down the road where the company will combine the Store Manager roll with the Assistant Store Manager roll to save money. The company already put in place COMPASS, a computer system where corporate, and the District Manager assign daily and weekly tasks, and the ASM's are already doing all the Store Manager's responsibilities at the old EXA pay rate or less, I think it's only a matter of time before the Store Manager position is gone.

Cons

Open 365 days a year
    Very long hours
    No work/life balance
    Micro managed. - Store management use to have the autonomy to cater to their local clientele. We were able to build displays that were store specific to boost sales. Now nearly every display is mandatory, as is directed by corporate.
    Very tight payroll
    Capped pay rates for every position

Advice to Management

Stop acting like a bunch of bean counters, and come do our job at out pay rate for a few months. The company has been around for over 100 years, and has always been profitable before you took over. Stop running your employees into the ground.