Walgreens - 17 years more good than bad | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"17 years more good than bad"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Deerfield, IL
Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Walgreens part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, good management, understanding of work life balance

Cons

Gender bias in certain areas. Very political in order to get promoted even if your skill set exceeds that of the managers.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and assess skill sets and assign responsibilities accordingly.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

1. "Stagnant growth (Mid-West region), Inferior wage for work (except pharmacists)"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a job like this will make you mentally tough... by breaking your mood consistently. However, if you tough it out, you will learn something. About yourself, about retail, and about the reality of what you thought "business" was when you applied. This is retail management, even for store managers the grind of the job is punctuated by crappy schedules, excessive work weeks, and very very weak vacation/PTO and advancement opportunities, or competitive wages. Even new store managers only start making 58k+.
     The chance of getting promoted to a store manager, is rather remote. Only the most hardcore, or those that fill quotas are promoted. I am over three years in, and teetering on the verge of ASM, from MGT, hopefully fast-tracking past ASM-T. This means hard work, and smart working will resonate, IF you are with managers with gravitas (CL etc.). It could all very easily be for naught, you are buried, and for all intensive purposes you don't exist in the realm of 'promotable personal'. This problem would be the most frustrating while operating in the ASM role, as your work week is insane, and a pay period that literally would be salaried for 80ish, but you worked 200 hours. No joke. Only to NEVER move to the store manager level because you are the indentured servant to a retarded store manager who has absolutely no reason to lose you and your efforts, by voicing on behalf of you, or has no gravitas anyway within the CL, or to the DM. So key is location leads to opportunities, this factor, can, has, and will again destroy peoples Walgreens' careers.

Cons

This experience can potentially be leveraged into only retail jobs. Aldi, Trader Joe, Whole Food, Container Store, are options. My review kind of all ran together above...

Advice to Management

You are ineffectual, you are also on this train from Deerfield, we can't get off. Honestly I think alot of boom period managers would get out if the stock gets to $70+. This is cyclical like anything else, we are in a period of rapid acquisitions (Boots, etc), this is AMAZING growth for part of the country. Just not this country. Everything we acquire here is systematically shut down, our health insurance makes Americans very expensive, due to this decreased wages at the store level are a new reality. The corporate leaders at Deerfield will have the pharmacists outstandingly paid (they make the money for Walgreens', so it makes sense) compared to market average. We however, on the front-end, or even as a pharm tech, will be paid a very noncompetitive wage, with a heavy justification being on our good health care coverage. This however is not beneficial to the young, educated worker. This could be a dead-end way to start a career if one does not either quickly excel internally, get leveraged to corporate positions, or find a new job.

Simply put.

2. "Good, solid company to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company, good benefits, overall great to work for

Cons

long hours during holiday seasons