Walgreens - Excellent Company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"Excellent Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Carbondale, IL
Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer great insurance, profit sharing, stock options, pto, and comparable rates of pay.

Cons

they do NOT give raises based on productivity- they give one yearly raise, a set price across the board, therefore giving no incentive to do better and the ones who don't do their job get paid as much as those who carry the weight. They also only hire college students or degreed people for Mgmt.

Advice to Management

Return to the age of paying the employee who wishes to achieve greater expectations and sharing the wealth with those employees. Also, try promoting those of us to Mgmt. who are knowledgeable about retail and public relations. College students are not always your best and only choice.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

"8 years loyalty rewarded with termination for a minor mistake."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Stamford, CT

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discount of 15% on most items.

Cons

If you are not a favorite of management you get stuck with the worst hours, even if you have a family at home, chances are you will see them rarely if at all. The company expects you to be at their beckoned call no matter where you are or what you are doing or if you have made plans with your family because you were scheduled off. Last minute schedule changes are standard operating procedure. If you work at night you are generally working with high school kids who don't care about how the store looks or doing their job. Yet somehow these people don't lose their jobs. Good employees are made miserable with constant harassment and are constantly being put down by store managers and above. Morale is very low. Working at Walgreens is damaging to employees relationships with their families, because of the lack of time spent with them and having to cancel plans due to the job, which happens with ever increasing regularity, especially if they know you can be "depended on". When an employee is terminated the company reports them to a "retailers database" which essentially "blacklists" them and makes getting a new job almost impossible.

Advice to Management

Get back to being the company that Charles Walgreen set out to be. Stop letting the almighty dollar and stock dividends dictate your decisions. Walgreens did just fine before the "rewiring for growth" initiative. When I started working for Walgreens i thought it was an exellent company and I was a customer before I was an employee. Now I am neither and I avoid Walgreens like the plague. It is not the same company anymore. Or did you not get the hint when the last Walgreen in the company, Kevin Walgreen, left?

2. "It's been a pleasure working for Walgreens!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You always learn something new..Working with a great team is always good and if you're good at customer service this is a place you should be..Its a good environment..

Cons

Never have same hours one week you're at 40 hours next week at 32 hours..other than the schedule everything seems good to me..

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, everything is under control and the way a store should be running...love my store 3090