Walgreens - Bringing micromanagement to a new level | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"Bringing micromanagement to a new level"

Current Employee - SFK in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - SFK in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits - insurance offered but fairly bad coverage, good employee discount, decent financial investment benefits, good learning opportunities, ability to grow with the market (although if now in a good growing market your screwed). Learning and licensing in RX. Lucky to be in a good CL store, and get to learn from some of the best, but it all depends on the store and leadership.

Cons

Stores are so micro-managed corporate makes it hard to get anything done. Hours are ridiculously tight and pay has been slashed so much that good new employees are a rare commodity. Their re-structuring, aka, job slashing has been a low blow to those who have stuck with the company for years. Good managers have been screwed out of wages and positions and forced to leave or face a huge pay cut. Shift leads are expected to pick up the slack for $5 less an hour.

Advice to Management

Have achievable expectations and give enough hours to get the job done. You are sacrificing employees for dollars, and customers for profits. Its just to come back to bite you, and before your know it you'll be short on people to run the stores. Change before its too late.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

"Excellent Staff......Stressed Managers"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team atmosphere, they really hire great people and its fun to work there.

Cons

The hours are all over the place and you rarely have two days in a row off. Management is ridiculously focused on watching the employees on camera and there is a lot of inappropriate gossip that goes on in the management room. More physically demanding than they tell you as there is constant cleaning involved with every job there.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the employee break room. Over 100 employees and there are 6 chairs and one table in the break room along with lockers for employees. Where are people supposed to have an effective break?

2. "Good coworkers, not always good managers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Walgreens part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, lots of learning opportunities, convenient location for commute from home or school. Never felt like I was dragging in.

Cons

Location near commuter station meant lots of customers came in expecting "valet" type service - oh could you get me this, and run because my train is in 3 minutes

Advice to Management

None - I shared my opinions before leaving. Not sure if it made a difference for current employees.