Walgreens - Great opportunities but hard work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

"Great opportunities but hard work!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Walgreens is a Fortune 500 company and has been so for decades. It is the largest retail pharmacy in America with stores in all 50 states and Puerto Rico. Lots of jobs available in stores, distribution centers, and at the corporate offices.

Cons

You are limited at Walgreens to make decisions outside of the company directive. The company wants something in the store, it's there whether it sells at your location or not.

Advice to Management

Trust your people to make the right choices.

Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens

"Current shift leader"

Pros

You get to learn a lot of people skills (some people are incredibly difficult, some are awesome), learned a lot about various OTC and prescription items

Cons

Walgreens used to be a wonderful company to work for, but ever since CEO Greg wasson took over, it's gone downhill and is slowly becoming walmarts little brother. Company keeps cutting hours more and more and yet expecting the same level of productivity out of you. For example, my current store is busier on a day to day basis than it was when we opened, and yet we have 30 or so fewer hours. We operate on a skeleton crew, and if anyone calls in it's a tragedy. Everyone is constantly stressed and overworked. There used to be plenty of room for improvement and promotion, but now you have no chance of getting promoted unless you're friends with the district manager, or a total brown noser. The shift leader position was created to replace assistant managers - they can make us do the same work yet pay us $5 an hour less. Greg wasson is a prime example of everything that's wrong with corporate America - more concern with money and the bottom line, less concern with employees

Advice to Management

Give hours back to the stores - your employees will work harder if they're not constantly overwhelmed and stressed, I promise you. Stop caring about your own pocketbook so much and start caring just a little bit about ours, and see the difference it makes.

2. "Training needs improvement"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay and most people are friendly.

Cons

Not sure if it's done the same way at every store but the training I received was very poor. Needs much improvement. I was basically just thrown in after completing the practice modules and expected to know how to do things at 100% proficency. And when I obviously had to ask questions, I was made to feel bad as to why I don't know how to do things. In my experience, training is successful when you are to shadow a person first and thoroughly explained all duties and how to do them.

Advice to Management

Revise training.