Walmart - Great!!! Only problem I have is the illnes/ absence policy! Otherwise.great company! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Great!!! Only problem I have is the illnes/ absence policy! Otherwise.great company!"

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker/Cashier in Roseville, CA
Former Employee - Overnight Stocker/Cashier in Roseville, CA

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offer opportunities to work both part time or full time. Good benfits for part time. Willing to work with your schedule.

Cons

Medical notes or illness don't excuse absence. Don't offer full time for new hires.

Advice to Management

You need to give all employess..new hires and easoned employees a chance for full time. You need to improve your attendance olicy to excuse absences if an employee is ill, it won't count against them.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Started great, went downhill"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The pay was pretty good for a position that didn't require a college degree.
    -Flexible leave of absence policy for salaried managers. My father was dying and I took 3 weeks off work paid with no paperwork to fill out.
    -Equals worked well together and were mostly good people.
    -They were flexible with my school schedule at first.
    -Great opportunities for advancement if you proved yourself and self-promoted a bit.

Cons

-Pay for hourly associates is pretty abysmal. I had a hard time looking people in the face and telling them they would be making $7.65 and hour. Overtime is virtually non-existent.
    -Salaried managers effectively become the overtime denied to hourly associates. I get that it is retail, but constantly being told 12 hours beforehand that you would be working your off day is more than a little annoying.
    -Store managers have unrealistic expectations, but I really can't blame them, because market and regional managers have even more unrealistic expectations of what managers can do.

Advice to Management

-Scorecards are a great way to measure certain metrics, but using them to judge a store's performance to the exclusion of basically everything else is ridiculous.
    -Work harder on maintaining good morale. At the store I worked, by the time I was left I had the third longest tenure at that store and I had only been there 2.5 years.
    -Salaried managers are not slaves. 4-5 14-hour workdays a week is a great way to lose experienced people. I totally understand that you can expect 50 hours a week at work, but people should not have to drop everything at a moments notice on a regular basis just because the store manager is unhappy.

2. "Absolutely love working there, but Corporate has lost touch with the true meaning of efficiency."

Current Employee - People Greeter in Saint Peters, MO
    Current Employee - People Greeter in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy working with people, there is no better place on earth.

Cons

Efficiency moves are often not efficient. They just move money from one person's pocket to another.

Advice to Management

Reducing wages/benefits should be totally removed as a basis for others getting bonuses, for such related events.