Walmart - Good place for a first job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Good place for a first job"

Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA
Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to get a job easy to get hired. Part time gets benefits after 1 year witch is good. Plenty of ways to move up in company.

Cons

Very hard work for little pay, managment really can get annoying, management sometimes treats associates like they are worthless

Advice to Management

Try to go in the departments and listen to associate input we are a team remember A TEAM alot of managers forget that

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Wal mart bakery associate"

Current Employee - Baker in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Baker in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

way better than i imagined. The managers were polite, some of my co workers were really cool, gave me good experience. I worked my butt off and got on everyone's good side so I liked my experience.

Cons

not enough to pay your bills, low hours, they take forever to get rid of bad workers, when the hood rats and white trash come on the first of the month they have a terrible attitude. they take advantage of the good workers by keeping then were they are at rather than promoting them, and the food jobs are messy

Advice to Management

please do not tell employees you are going to do one thing and ignore them. Fix the problems in the bakery.

"Unrewarding"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Even though it's a huge company and a huge division, you still feel like you're in a smaller company. You get exposed to very unique situations and problems due to the size of the company, data, and number of vendors/suppliers. Many people in ISD develop into national and international experts simply from being in this environment. You learn how to deal with office politics. Many people are in the same boat regarding getting unrecognized so you develop close friendships with those people that can relate.

Cons

Advancement depends on your manager. Extremely long hours. Very little PTO. 1-7 years = 2 weeks off. 7-13 years = 3 weeks off. 14+ years = 4 weeks off. 45 hours a week is minimum but you are expected to work more at times as it is part of the job...just don't expect to get that time back. Low pay compared to the industry and even worse benefits. (It's in the news and is a topic of the White House for a reason). Cost of insurance rises every year yet the raise percentage is 2%. The yearly raise is non-existent as it goes to insurance. Whenever you apply to another job inside the company, your manager receives an email notification and the vast majority of managers retaliate. Location is also horrible. Entertainment is limited to the U of A, Dickson St., and house parties. The closest major city is Kansas City at 3 hours though.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward associates that have been loyal and do an honest days work. Actively seek out retaliation instances opposed to turning your heads when people report it. To senior management, ever since Mr. Sam passed away, the company has become more about money and profits rather than treating people right. Get back to what made the company great!