Walmart - Typical Retail | Glassdoor

"Typical Retail"

Pros

Great compensation amd benefits are decent. Working hours are ok but its typical retail so can get out of hand.

Cons

No real sense of what is needed in the stores. Reacts to others and then tries to beat them no matter how it affects the associates. To many measureables, spend all day typing emails instead of executing.

Advice to Management

Give the stores back to the managers.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Under staffed, under appreciated, and over worked."

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

-Pay is decent for one person with no kids.
    -Coworkers are all pretty friendly.
    -Discount is ok, but not impressive.
    -Opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

-Have to be with the company for at least 6 months before qualifying for any bonuses received. It gives no incentive to put any extra effort into the job.
    -Have to stock your entire department alone most nights, unless a coworker gets done early and comes to help.
    -Not enough people to cover all departments that need to be stocked each night. Staff is kept to a bare minimum, and if even one or two people call out it throws everything into chaos.
    -Not enough protective equipment provided for a physically demanding job. I routinely have to kneel on the ground to stock low shelves, but no knee pads are provided and my knees are constantly bruised up. Rarely have I even seen a lifting belt.
    -Company is very anti union, even have a whole 15 minute union bashing video you have to watch during orientation.
    -Task management is a joke, managers pull a time out of thin air and say your job should be done within that time. Sometimes it works out, but most days you go over it.
    -No training. They make you take CBLs and then throw you out on the floor with someone for a few days, then they expect you to know everything.
    -CBLs are a joke as well, I learned nothing from them that being out on the floor for a shift wouldn't have taught me better. Invest in proper training that isn't on a computer if you want employees that know what they're doing.
    -Employee discount doesn't cover most grocery items aside from fresh produce.
    -Hours are cut during holiday season.
    -Far too many to list each and every one.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the work your employees do and provide more safety equipment. I can't really stress that enough.
    Hire enough people to cover all departments needed on any given night to keep the work load down on individual associates.
    Pay could stand to a be a bit better for the amount of time and effort we put into the job.

2. "Very Happy with Wal-Mart"

Current Employee - Order Selector
    Current Employee - Order Selector

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I definitely feel as though Wal-Mart has been very good to me. I got a job when most people around the country were losing theirs. I have been blessed with the ability to move around and try new things.

Cons

I can definitely say that I wish managers had to continually go through training on a consistent basis on how to be better managers. Some of them do not preform as well as they should. They need to learn how to be leaders, NOT MANAGERS. Many of them create their own headaches. I would love to see monthly training seminars that they have to part take in whether its online or in person at a regional center.

Advice to Management

Pay scales need to be readjusted. You are loosing good workers that can do not just a lot of work but high quality work for multiple low quality ones. Store associates should regain their ability to get merit raises, just restrict how many can be dolled out or make it more process oriented.