Walmart - it was just ok | Glassdoor

"it was just ok"

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

it was nice because people felt like it was a good store and a lot of people know what it was and i saw people that i know

Cons

people usually made fun of me and stuff like that. it made me mad and i felt like i was being ridiculed by others that didnt know me

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "A solid company with many good assets."

Former Employee - Asset Protection Associate in West Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Associate in West Lebanon, NH

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is plenty of room for advancement, limited only by your own interests and abilities. Also, there are many postions available if you want to try something different from time to time, but staywith the same company.

Cons

It is retail, with all of the drawbacks that entails.

Advice to Management

Work at training and retaining your staff at the hourly level. They are your future managers, and will pass on that same dedication and effort if you let them.

"In a fairly independent team, with rows against management every now and then."

Former Employee - ICS Associate in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - ICS Associate in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was part of the unloading team for the store. As such, my team's job was very physical, but we also enjoyed a fair amount of independence in executing actions. There were days where I wouldn't have to deal with the assistant managers of the store, and we performed our chores on time and to satisfaction. The occasional free lunches and sodas for holidays were very welcome. As the job was physical, I was losing body fat while being paid.

Cons

That being said, there were also certain members of our management that did not understand the finer nuances of "being respectful." Imagine the sweat of my brow falling like a waterfall as I try to pull a 1,700 pound pallet load using a degraded trolley while a person who has probably never done the physical work screams at me to "Hurry your lazy butt up." Motivating, indeed. The management of my store was going through a major shift at the time, yet I feel this does not excuse the devolution of moral practices and ethic standards. Because of equipment shortages, I often found myself searching (for too long) for a upper-level staffer just to unlock a door so I could complete my job.

Advice to Management

If you expect retention among your staff, then efforts for hospitality towards said staff should be made.The occasional freebie doesn't make up for the day-to-day abasement a worker endures under such management. I would gladly sacrifice the former in order to rid my time of the latter. In short, teach your managers and upper-level single-store retail store employees to be more ethical in their management.