Walmart - Assistant Manager | Glassdoor

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, CO
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity if you can play their game. Decent benefits, okay salary with bonus available. Store managers can make HUGE $$. They listen to their workers, it just takes a long tine to make the changes happen.

Cons

Less and less associate friendly since Sam and his wife died. 48 required hours, averaged 55 when I worked there. They have changed the system. Always short staffed, your new hires were turned into cashiers instead of your departments.

Advice to Management

Look at peoples strengths and place them into an area where they can show you what they can do, before putting them into an area they need to grow. Let them know you are putting them there to see if they are right for promotion. That gets people excited and will work harder for you. People do not understand why you move them into an area they are not proficient. Associates came crying to me all the time asking why their managers were punishing them! Work on making it a happy environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

"Some managers convinced that employees are the problem."

Current Employee - TLE Technician in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - TLE Technician in Longview, TX

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will eventually find one human Manager who actually gets it.

Cons

Equipment always broken or on the verge of being broke. When it is broken it takes weeks to fix.
    Company is so large one stores policies differ from another in the same town, causing confusion and frustration to customers.

Advice to Management

Make policy stick and keep with it. Treat your employees like people, not a tool to be used then thrown aside. Learn that it is ok to sometimes tell a customer NO. Home office back up our decisions down here in the trenches, we are the ones dealing with the customers, some of them just want to rip you off and get something for free.

2. "What has happened to a once great company?"

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for over 24 years. If 24 years ago this is how the company was run, I wouldn't still be here. Up until about 7 years ago, it was still a good company to be employed with. I do like my job and my fellow associates and even the management staff - the problem is not within the 4 walls of my facility, but with Corporate.

Cons

When I got hired in, everything was pro-associate, pro-family. Susan Chambers put out a memo in 2005 (which you can bring up on the web) - this outlines just what they think of associates and this is when the company began the drastic change we are all dealing with now. They have slowly taken away all the perks, including pay capping (mine has been capped for 7 years), removing of merit raises, great job button program, profit sharing, to mention a few. They continue to pay poverty level wages and offer unaffordable health insurance. The MYShare bonus program needs to be revamped for associates. Seems the same stores continue to strive and the same stores continue to starve. Needs to be something where all associates would benefit. Associates need to have consistent schedules. For so long associates were afraid of speaking out - the fear, loosing their jobs. Up until social media, we always thought the problems we had were just in our store. Now we are able to talk to associates around the world. We have found that it is not store specific - the same issues are in all stores, whether some want to believe it or not. C'mon WM lets raise the bar. We know you can do it. Let's be that Retailer Leader again - a company that WE are once again all proud of.