Walmart - Good company needing to be more receptive to change. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Good company needing to be more receptive to change."

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Bentonville, AR
Current Employee - Regional Manager in Bentonville, AR

Pros

Career Opportunities couples with a culture of respect for everyone. Our Sr. Executives are open and do not use their positions to dominate conversattions or strong arm decisions.

Cons

Time - Work Balance, it can be dificult to start change with a good portion of leaders being long term Wal-Mart employees and promoted from within. Your are competing with programs they put in place and consider very good. New comers have a hard time adjusting to it's culture and pushback associated with very tenured associates (employees).

Advice to Management

As the company continues to pursue new, fresh outside talent for it's middle management ranks, they need to have more openness to changes and challenges. Get involved with grass roots with middle managers as they are reporting to the old guard and feeling unwelcome at times. Sr. leadership appears to have a letigimate interest in recruiting and retaining outside talent but not so sure Jr. executives are on board.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "If you're in college, well it's a job..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

Pros

Easy job while in college, flexible hours, never a shortage of job openings. Pick up your groceries after you get off of work, one stop for everything.

Cons

Employees are numbers in a company so large. Management of any given store not necessarily that great. Benefits not that great, plus it's not really an exciting place to work. Dull, repeatitive tasks, and customers that claim to hate Walmart, but still shop there every day. Always some bad story in the newspaper about the company you work for.

Advice to Management

Be more enthusiastic, seem to care more, give more recognition to good employees

2. "Moving up or moving out?"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marietta, OH

Pros

Wal-Mart tends to have open communication with thier associates. Even as someone on the bottom of the career ladder, I feel that I am always well informed of whats going on within the company. ( This is made a lot easier with use of the internet, and the Wal-Mart Wire)

Cons

A downside of Wal-Mart, as a sales associate, is that its very hard to feel satisfied with the job you have done that day. There is always more to do. Ofcourse this depends on the department you work in. I have also felt at times that there are to many bosses. You must answer to your dept manager, your assistant manager, your co-manager...and the list goes on. It often feels that you are pulled in to many directions at once, and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

The biggest downfall for me has been what I see as a lack of opportunity for advancement. Wal-Mart promotes that they advance from within, which I have seen, however I have also seen people brought in from outside the company. And in my store people tend to stick around for years, even if its only a dept manager position. Dept manager is the first stepping stone if you want to move up the ladder, though these positions are rarely open.

Advice to Management

There is a quote by Sam Walton hanging in our breakroom that says listen to your associates, they are the greatest idea generators we have. (or something close to that) I think this company needs to take that statement to heart, and actually implement it.

The people who do the grunt work day after day, have many ideas to save the company time and money. This would greatly improve morale, at the very least. I think a lot of associates feel overlooked.