Walmart - Consistent schedule and decent health plan sometimes do not make up for little room for advancement before 5 years. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Consistent schedule and decent health plan sometimes do not make up for little room for advancement before 5 years."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sanford, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a simple hiring process and rehiring process. Decent benefits, even for part time (80/20 health care plan, 401k, stock contribution). HR is easy to access directly. Entry level jobs are simple and easy to pick up. It's a chance to practice good customer service skills. occasional quarterly bonus for sales.

Cons

A good work ethic, courteous manner, and respect for customers and coworkers doesn't go as far as the ability to work off the clock to finish unrealistic deadlines for tasks that were under manned from the beginning. Very , very little accountability for those under management, management can sometimes have infighting , pull people away from tasks to start on others leaving many half finished. Sink or swim mentality for cashiers and some sales associate positions. Training is almost non-existent , occasional power point slides and 10 question tests will not produce a capable work force, on the job cross training is encouraged, but no mechanism to do it. Short staffing and micromanaging of minutes worth of overtime is very common.

Advice to Management

Follow up with training, provide some accountability to each individual's tasks, and do not blame the low-level manager for the minutia created by the collective actions and mistakes three separate shifts. I understand these stores employ around 350 people, but maintaining the status quo by only training new hires enough to cover legal issues isn't a sustainable business model.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "My experience was informational but I do not wish you work for the company any longer then I have too."

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Nacogdoches, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Nacogdoches, TX

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-My interpersonal communication skills improved quite a bit.
    Worked well with my school schedule

Cons

Do not like company policies
    Company does not care for your social life
    Company conditions are terrible
    Do not treat employees well.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate better with your employees.

"Great company overall!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leader in the industry.
    The associates you have the privilege of working with and leading.
    Great compensation for managers.

Cons

Bottom line has become more important than associates working there.
    Below average compensation for hourly associates and schedules for hourlies are really inconsistent.
    Becoming scorecard driven and it's taking away from customer service levels in the stores.

Advice to Management

Listen to the leaders in the stores that have been with the company for many years. They do know what they are talking about. They have a better idea of what they need to run the store than a computer or some college kid fresh out of school in Bentonville does.