Walmart - Wal-mart Assistant Manager | Glassdoor

"Wal-mart Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Monroe, NY
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Monroe, NY

Pros

An overall good company, with advancement oportunities that depend on you. Has a good stucture in place to prevent people from abusing their power and making unfair decisions. Good relationships form between mgmt and the associates and in the majority of stores there is an overal positive energy.

Cons

As a salaried member of mgmt you are just a number. The "always take care of the associates" mentality does not seem to apply. You are asked to work rediculous hours at times, come in on days off, and are left responsible to achieve unrealistic expectations on a daily basis.

You get direction from many different sources which are uncoordinated that leave you unrealisticly trying to accomplish all these tasks but then you are being held responsible for your daily responsibilities at the same time. And there is always some major visit or event around the corner that forces you to work extra hours. You always think " I can't wait till this is over, but when it is something else comes up. It reminds me of the donkey chasing a carrot, hanging from a rope in front of him, tied to its head. Your chasing an illusion. Overall its a very stressful position and its compensation is rarely justified.

Advice to Management

All members of management are people just like anyone else. And like anyone else they need to be recognized, thanked, respected, and treated as if their personal life matters. As an Assistant Mgr I can not lead others with a positive attitude when I am working seven days because a DM is not happy with my store, or when despite all that I have accomplished all I ever hear about is what I didn't do. Yet so often I have seen this type of expectation placed on us. If we are not happy with the company it will trickle down. Placing it in our job description to not let that happen does not prevent it by any means.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in California City, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in California City, CA

Pros

I like being home on weekends.

Cons

Sometimes, unloading takes longer than I'm allowed.

Advice to Management

I appreciate it when you have people at the dock to help unload the truck. It would be nice to not have all new employees to unload the truck.

2. "Hope you are a workhorse with NO life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, TX

Pros

It was relatively easy to get a job off, even though it was usually met with some kind of remark insinuating that any days taken off, are too many.

Cons

Every walmart that either I or someone else I talked to has worked at, said that it has no management skills. I know I experienced it. They work you into the ground, with medium pay. Then the management has no clue what is going on with the workers or generally how things work...

Advice to Management

try respecting people, and you might be surprised with how you get treated in return.