Walmart - Open leadership & rewarding work environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Open leadership & rewarding work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Continuous Improvement Analyst in Bentonville, AR
Current Employee - Senior Continuous Improvement Analyst in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Professional working environment
* Excellent on-boarding experience... great orientation program
* Competitive Salary for experienced professionals, with stock options & great bonus package!
* Excellent comitted co-workers
* Reward & recognition
* Opportunity for growth
* True servent leadership by senior leaders
* Great opportunity to mentor, share knowledge with others & learn

Cons

* Complicated legacy processes that are hard to change
* Lack of specilized talent that has most current knowledge of the areas that they are hired for
* Need more emphasis on operational excellence... rather than sheer growth

Advice to Management

* Become the face of change
* Challenge the usual ways of doing things & appreciate/celebrate/support employees that think outside the box
* Be open to looking at the big picture & emphasize system based solutions that allow employee empowerment rather than accepting band-aid solutions

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Treated like garbage. Hired as a temporary employee, performed well with great attendance and punctuality, passed over."

Former Employee - Associate in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Associate in Henderson, NV

I worked at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not difficult to get hired if desperate.

Cons

Lack of pay, hours, benefits, respect. No objective assessments. I was fired over supposed urine stains even though I could not prevent other employees from using the bathroom just after I had cleaned it. They literally pooped all over my work, management did nothing when I raised the issue and I was fired because the restroom did not magically stay clean afterward.

Advice to Management

Management is self-concerned and wouldn't take my advice if offered. They know what they do is wrong, they just don't care about anything but protecting their own scraps.

"Walmart is no longer a company of great leaders, great values or great culture. It is just a money making machine."

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to promote if you are in management and to step to another company or vendor with the experience. Great compensation package if you are in management.

For the lazy worker: high pay for doing little. Make sure strategy is in your job description. Walmart Home Office wastes a ton of money on redundant tasks and duplicated job duties. There is no structure in promotion so make sure your manager likes you. There can always be an exception made to promote you or to compensate you at a higher rate. Also, the VPs change so frequently that before you are finished with a 2 year project its scrapped and you start a new one for the new VP. Yearly goals come out in about November (fiscal year is Feb.1 - Jan. 31)

Some associates, a few, are caring, supportive, team members but they are never in positions to improve the world around them in ways that matter for more that one associate interaction at a time.

To sum up: If you are looking for a stepping stone to another job outside of Walmart, Walmart is your place. But be strategic, you never know when the axe will fall.

Cons

I had the dream when I walked in the doors that this would be a Great company to work for. The culture, the cheer, the values; I was hooked. And then reality set in and I saw what I saw, heard what I heard and learned what I now know and the dream vanished. I believed in Walmart. I worked hard. They let me down.

There is no more Walmart culture. It's about how much money I can save the company not the consumer. Acquisition after acquisition. Failed venture after failed venture. Money that could have been spent in better ways, gone, Wasted by another new SVP or VP to prove their own worth rather than putting back into the workforce via compensation (pay, healthcare, bonus, etc.) or into simple process improvement or system integration.

Hourly associates are poorly compensated overall, looked down-upon, and are viewed as people who have to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, they might be able to someday become a management associate. Poor health coverage, poor bonus for hourly associates, and many employee expenses are never reimbursed as an associate is just expected to pay for it themselves (i.e. gas, mileage, pens, paper, etc.) The hourly s (yes they are called that, even within earshot) are segregated, receive less training opportunities, and are cause for an uproar when a 15 minute mandatory break interrupts a meeting. And everyone has their hand out for donations!! Argh!

And speaking of opportunities... in no other company has opportunity been a bad word. Think about that for a moment.

It's difficult to be a long-term associate as there are cliches and favorites and other landmines that must be avoided. For the hard worker the Home Office is frustrating. Time and money are wasted hand over foot. Meetings upon meetings to meet about meetings, projects are created for the sake of creating a project or spending a budget, not really adding value. Tasks are duplicated, systems are handmade, not many systems communicate with other systems. Decisions take teams of people who are never in the same room because they are in another meeting. Days and weeks and months wasted on waiting for someone else to do something, say something, or sign something. I have never worked for a company that said this more, "Its not my job". Silos and more silos. Departments upon departments that never communicate.

Also, the Home Office is severely Top Heavy in management. If you think you are going to get an assistant you are out of your mind. You will be making that presentation until 2 AM, vacuuming your "pod", taking out your own trash, making those calls, handling your travel and expenses, etc.etc.etc. all with a blackberry glued to your hip. You will work nights and weekends to get it done. 45 hour work week for some, 50 hours is more the norm for managers. Hourly associates not a penny over 40 hours unless approved.

Grassroots is simply a joke and a waste of time and money. I never saw one useful change come from it. Managers, VPs, and SVPs do what they have to do to keep their own jobs. Period. Survey me and then survey about the survey. Have coffee with your leader once a month... more like once.

To sum up: If you are looking for a true career, to feel valued, or to be adequately compensated overall, Walmart is Not your place.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your current managers. Have you hired, trained, and molded a team or have you created more silos, segregation from other associates, and a place to climb the corporate ladder make a couple million dollars and leave for greener pastures? Is their best interest really in their fellow associates and the company or is it in their next title change and pay raise? Take a look at your New culture. How are you retaining talent? What happened to "what her/his name"? Did you even blink?

You lose great talent Every Day and hire new ones for more pay, at more of an expense, for managers and recruiters to justify their jobs. Look at the numbers. Look at the years of experience that has left the company in the last 5 years alone. You hire us for our creativity, individuality, and ability to grow and change and then you beat it out of us to be a Walmart Team Member, such as it is now. Shame on you.