Walmart - Mostly enjoyable, but lacking in key areas. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

"Mostly enjoyable, but lacking in key areas."

Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady job, 401k, HMO when offered. Sense of family and ownership.

Cons

Too much favoritism at store level. The stores are left to run themselves and it falls into the place where everyone just wants to have fun. No consistency with polices.

Advice to Management

Take care of the employees like family, or stop saying that its a family company, you cant do both.

Other Employee Reviews for Walmart

1. "Walmart Stores"

Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good experience, able to move up in the company, several locations around the country including home office positions.

Cons

Hours can be difficult, starting pay and raises are low. Work loads depend on positions. Each store can be different in style of management and success of moving up through the company. They want people who will work without asking questions or telling them a better way of doing things. Communication between levels of management.

Advice to Management

Communication could use fine tuning. Work on the floor don't just tour it!

"Walmart a truly up and down experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down compared to any other retailer in management Walmart provides a good work life balance. If you're on the day shift you work 3 days and you are off for 3 days and if you work nights you work 4 and you are off for 4 nights. The pay is pretty decent once you get in the salaried ranks of mgmt.

Cons

Very high expectations for floor associates for very little pay. Upper management love to point out what's wrong, but hardly ever know the why and how of why its wrong. They are rarely any help to find solutions to problems that most stores face at store level. Moving up in the salaried ranks has proven to be very difficult. It seems to be solely based on who you know and not what you know. I've seen too many incompetent individuals get promoted, but end up struggling or failing just cause they sucked up to the right individual. Turnover has proven to be ridiculous with this company. It's hard to manage when you constantly have hiring needs to fill. There's a rumor that mgmt schedules are going away from the 3 on and off system. If that happens its not gonna be worth it to work for this company in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I know payroll is the biggest expense but we gotta figure out a way to increase pay for the hourly associate. If we did this it would cut down on turnover and we could attract more quality associates.